what round for 44 mag???

bubba68

I have a super black hawk 44mag and was wondering what you guys recommend for deer hunting???? I currently have some Hornady self defence rounds but not sure how good they would be.

Another question any recommendations for a holster for the same gun I have a scope on it so I just cant go to the store and pick one out.

Attachments

• superblackhawk.jpg
    superblackhawk.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 3,208
Reactions: Dub

Apex Predator

I highly recommend the Winchester "white box" 240 grain jacketed soft points for deer/hogs. After killing several truckloads with this load I started loading a duplicate. This round will do lots of damage and exit 90% of the time. Just what I want! Many defense loads are not gonna give you two holes.

Monty4x4

underwoodammo.com

Although its a 44 so you could prob shoot an acorn out of it and get a deer. I am sure what Apex said is fine too. But for those that don't load underwood has the best stuff out there. They have XTP's and hard casts. But some will say hard casts don't qualify as an expanding bullet. That's up to you and the GW, if one asks.

Bam Bam

I like Ga. Arms "Deer Stoppers" 240gr JHP for Deer and Hog!!!! I also have some 200gr Deer Stoppers and some Hornady 225gr FTX LE's but I hadn't used either for hunting yet!!!!

tgc

Vote #2 for Winchester white box. 240 grain jfp. Best deal in factory loaded .44 mag ammo I think.

CaptGary1

All of the above mentioned rounds work. I have had great success accuracy/killing game with the Hornady 225 gr. FTX factory load. The .44 is just a killer.

660griz

240 gr. JHPs

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Another vote for the Winchester white box 240gr jacketed soft points. The HPs work, but the soft points give you better penetration for deer-and-hog sized critters. Two holes is a good thing. Cheap and accurate, too.

Another vote for the Winchester white box 240gr jacketed soft points. The HPs work, but the soft points give you better penetration for deer-and-hog sized critters. Two holes is a good thing. Cheap and accurate, too.

X2 here.

Depending on which flavor you decide, you'll have 240 gr of lead traveling 1200-1400 fps. One style or brand isn't going to make a huge difference over another in my honest opinion.

godogs57

Poke a hole in the engine compartment with any of the choices mentioned and you'll be in venison. My favorite load out of my 629 Classic is a 200 grain Hornady XTP behind a manly man charge of 296 powder (max load per reloading manual).

The 200 grain is more than heavy enough for white tails and scoots along rather quickly!

Best of luck with your chosen load.

GunnSmokeer

What kind of holster do you want.. Belt , or shoulder , or across-the-chest rig?
I have a couple huge holsters left over from my days of owning a T/C Contender with 10" barrels.
I'd give them to you for a few bucks to pay for gas money driving to Acworth.

smoothie

I do not like the way the hornady lever bullets come apart. Ga arms has some fine 240gr hp deer stopper bullets and you cannot go wrong with the Winchester white box 240gr

Winchester white box 240gr JFN gave full penetration from a carbine on this big bodied buck.

Attachments

• Indiana Buck.jpg
    Indiana Buck.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 2,250
Reactions: Dub

Dub

Hornady 44 Mag 225 gr FTX® LEVERevolution. Killer for sure!!

:cheers:

All of the above mentioned rounds work. I have had great success accuracy/killing game with the Hornady 225 gr. FTX factory load. The .44 is just a killer.

I've heard enough praise over these for a while now....going to give them a try at the range in my Redhawk soon. If they shoot well then I may give them a try in the fall....or perhaps sooner on a hog.

Jack Ryan

I shoot my own 240 cast bullets made from wheel weights.

I don't use a scope on hand guns.

Stroker

X5 for the white box Winchesters for a factory load. My Anaconda prefers the 200 grain XTP over a healthy dose of 2400.