Goals for 2018 season?

Clipper

I guess it's time to be thinking about our hunting goals for the upcoming season. My goal this year will be to kill an animal with a wood arrow that I made myself. Don't know if I'll have time this summer to make a new set, but I have some woodies I made several years ago that are spined too heavy for the lighter weight bows I now shoot. I may try my hand at reducing the spine by sanding in a drill. Never done it but I like to learn new skills so it's worth a try.

oldfella1962

My first goal is breaking in my recently purchased Cabelas Frontier longbow. I assumed (since it resembles my Samick SLB I owned several years ago) that it would shoot the same - THE JOKE IS ON ME! The Samick was whisper quiet right out of the box & stayed that way - it was just too heavy a draw weight for me. This Frontier has more of a straight grip and it's loud and I have finally found out what hand-shock feels like. So I'm researching how gripping style & hand placement affect how the limbs get in synch better. I have a Flemish twist ordered that should arrive today so that will help too. Regardless, I always like some "thump" in a bow - it makes the bow feel "alive" like you can really feel the energy of the shot. But the bow is smooth & accurate & light as a feather and I love it, it will just take some taming.

Second goal is correct & learn from all the deer hunting mistakes I made last year!

Third goal is applying what new things I learned about deer behavior last year. I really learned a lot about why deer travel where they do and when they do, so that will help me decide where to set up. I have a bad track record of being set up ten yards too far out nearly every time.

dutchman

This Frontier has more of a straight grip and it's loud and I have finally found out what hand-shock feels like. So I'm researching how gripping style & hand placement affect how the limbs get in synch better.

If you use a high wrist grip, such as is employed when shooting a Recurve, the hand shock will disappear. At least it does for me.

Dennis

Try letting the grip follow your life line in your hand and get a very firm hold of the grip. On a straight limb bow you have to be the BOSS.
This year I hope to make better decisions on shots and put a little more effort in to my hunting I have gotten lazy

dm/wolfskin

I guess it's time to be thinking about our hunting goals for the upcoming season. My goal this year will be to kill an animal with a wood arrow that I made myself. Don't know if I'll have time this summer to make a new set, but I have some woodies I made several years ago that are spined too heavy for the lighter weight bows I now shoot. I may try my hand at reducing the spine by sanding in a drill. Never done it but I like to learn new skills so it's worth a try.
Not hard to do Clipper. Take your arrow outside with the broadhead on it and shoot it at 10 or so yards. Hopefully it's shooting to the left which means too stiff. Start sanding the shaft down some and shoot it. You'll will see it moving back to the right and finally to the spot your shooting at.. I've made 3/8 dowels this way by sanding them down to 23/64 and then putting feathers and a broadhead on and take it out side and start to thin her down to shoot where I want it.

Clipper

Not hard to do Clipper. Take your arrow outside with the broadhead on it and shoot it at 10 or so yards. Hopefully it's shooting to the left which means too stiff. Start sanding the shaft down some and shoot it. You'll will see it moving back to the right and finally to the spot your shooting at.. I've made 3/8 dowels this way by sanding them down to 23/64 and then putting feathers and a broadhead on and take it out side and start to thin her down to shoot where I want it.
Thanks for the tip, Mike. I probably would have started with a field point.

Dennis

Try letting the grip follow your life line in your hand and get a very firm hold of the grip. On a straight limb bow you have to be the BOSS.
This year I hope to make better decisions on shots and put a little more effort in to my hunting I have gotten lazy
Went and put up 2 more ladder stands today I'm getting ready

Stump Shooter

Well I would like to have more camp fires this up coming season, which would mean more out of town hunts. Going to have to start getting out more hunting public land only for the last several years. Also want to stick with one bow and one shooting style, split instinctive, to get back where I started from.

Todd Cook

My Goals 2018:
1 bear
3 deer
1 pig
have fun doing it.
more pigs would be good, but I don't get to hunt them often.

Triple C

I'll be 62 when the seasons starts this year. This will be my 4th year shooting traditional. I mostly watch the critters these days but occasionally loose an arrow, particularly at a pig. I'd love to shoot a buck. I've yet to do that. Had a couple of close encounters last year but those critters are hard to get drawn back on without getting nailed. Regardless of outcome, I will cherish the time spent in the woods with family and friends.

oldfella1962

Thanks Dennis for the longbow gripping advice! I was trying to get so much of the heel of my palm into the bow that that I was actually bending my wrist outward, forcing my forearm inward and getting slapped hard! So I just put the left half of my palm (meaty area just below my thumb) into the grip and squeeze about equally with all my fingers and bend my elbow (easy since I always cant all my bows pretty far to the right) and the hand shock is very minimal with no slap - and with a Flemish twist string and wooden arrows (all I shoot anyway) the bow is quiet now. Once the string is done stretching I'll put on a nocking point and I'll be ready!

bowhunterdavid

Try to make it to at least one hunt you guys have on here , be more consistenting with my shoot, be more thankful for every day spent in the woods, and yes put a few deer in the freezer.

Last edited:

Tikki

This year my goal is to have as much fun as I did last year and share the experience with young and upcoming hunters.

oldfella1962

This year my goal is to have as much fun as I did last year and share the experience with young and upcoming hunters.

I seem to have more fun every season - I can't wrap my mind around it getting even better, but I know it will. No one to pass it along too though, my son isn't into archery.

frankwright

My goal this year is to actually hunt with a bow. Car wreck and shoulder injury right before last season and I could not draw my bow. (Killed 3 deer, 1 Muzzle loader and 2 pistol).
I put together a 39# Warf bow and have been able to shoot 10-15 arrows at a time. Pain sometimes causes a flinch on release but I am working on it.

KevinK

Last year was a great learning year and I hope this year I learn even more. I got good enough (or lucky enough the wind didn't change) that I saw deer almost every set towards the end of the season. I even got the opportunity to miss 3 deer (and the first one was a dandy) and pass on a little one. I would love to say I would like to not miss at least once this year but I think I will start getting some hits when I stop getting busted. I'm getting better but they always seem to see my shadow when I draw. Sometimes they look up, sometimes a different deer blows but I hope to get better at not getting busted. Going to put more thought into stand placement this year.