Gun accessory prices

Dr. Strangelove

I've been out of the firearms world for a number of years (work, life, money, etc.) and am just now getting a bug to get back into the hobby. I'm currently waiting on the last parts to come in for an AR build. One thing I've learned from this is WOW, parts prices have gone through the roof.

Over a hundred dollars for a set of pop-up rear iron sights? Are you insane?

The prices for rails, hand-guards, stocks and such are similar. How in the world is this stuff worth what some of these companies are trying to get for it? It's beginning to look to me like AR's exist simply to sell accessories, lol.

Rant over, I just shake my head at what some of this stuff costs these days.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've been out of the firearms world for a number of years (work, life, money, etc.) and am just now getting a bug to get back into the hobby. I'm currently waiting on the last parts to come in for an AR build. One thing I've learned from this is WOW, parts prices have gone through the roof.

Over a hundred dollars for a set of pop-up rear iron sights? Are you insane?

The prices for rails, hand-guards, stocks and such are similar. How in the world is this stuff worth what some of these companies are trying to get for it? It's beginning to look to me like AR's exist simply to sell accessories, lol.

Rant over, I just shake my head at what some of this stuff costs these days.
Just because those ridiculously expensive parts are out there, doesn't mean you have to buy them. Some of that is just status stuff, like a $600 cooler to kepp your beer in, or a $500 rod and reel to catch a bass with.

There is other stuff about as good without the price tag. You can get pop-up rear sights from PSA or Magpul for about $20. I have PSA ones that work just as well as any other sights I've ever used. Magpul is one of the best compromises between quality and price for furniture. And you can get handgaurds, rails, and such on Ebay for a fraction of the $$$$ places. And they work just fine.

transfixer

I just finished putting a 5.56 AR together, 1in8 twist 16in barrel, Anderson upper and lower, Rock River lpk, no name stock and handguard, all total I've got a little less than $400 in it, one inch groups at 100yds.

I'm considering building a .458 Socom next, I think I can put it together for around $500

If you shop around, and watch for sales on some of the sites, it doesn't have to be expensive . In fact you can find pop up sights on Amazon that are all steel and have excellent reviews for quite reasonable prices. Keep in mind , even the "brand name" parts you pay stupid money for are made overseas now anyway.

sghoghunter

That's like the 15 in forearm that I bought yesterday off primary arm's that's usually $189 but for 24hr sale it was $69.