T.P.'s 5th Annual Food Plot Prep Picture Thread

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Cause everbody loves pichers (and videos).

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.21%"><iframe src="
" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="641" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Canuck5

Simple food plots
<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.21%"><iframe src="
" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" width="641" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

Canuck5

My 3 clover blend, crimson, white and medium red are still doing the job.

Attachments

• 3 clover blend.jpg
    3 clover blend.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33

Canuck5

Allied Seed LLC are the people who produce the clover seed for Whitetail Institute and I spoke with one of their area representatives. I've recently used some of their Advantage Ladino clover and am happy with it and wanted to see where I could get some of their "Insight Clover". Of course it is a proprietary clover that they raise for Whitetail Institute, however he suggested I try a mix of their Ocoee, Advantage and a Berseem clover. I think I will incorporate that in my fall plans and see how it works.

https://www.qdma.com/food-plot-species-profile-berseem-clover/
http://www.alliedseed.com/white-clover/ocoee-ladino-white-clover/

Just trying something different ......

Attachments

• Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 38
  • Imperial Whitetail Institute2.JPG
    Imperial Whitetail Institute2.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Canuck5

For questions on Army Worms, please see our resident expert, Elfiii

Triple C

Canuck...Enjoyed the videos and thanks for starting the "T.P.'s 5th annual food plot prep thread", cause T.P. like pictures. We're more than 3 months away from planting fall plots and don't do summer plots any more. Replaced the time and expense of summer plots with clover a few years ago and add to the clover plantings each fall. Here's what's going on at our place:

Most fields have a nice planting of ladino n durana clover around them like this.
Cabin field.jpg

Same field from a different angle. More clover.
Looking toward cabin.jpg

1/3 acre secluded plot planted in ladino clover.
Hore shoe plot.jpg

Another secluded 1/3 to 1/2 acre plot planted in clover and 8 kieffer pears.
Orchard plot.jpg

Largest field with perimeter planted in ladino n durana.
Bean field.jpg

Needed to open up an over grown fire break on one section of the property. Used a brush cutter to open it up enough to drive ATV thru. Then got real serious with some heavy equipment. Pic after brush cutting.
Fire break before.jpg

A day and a half with track loader got it looking like this.
Fire break after.jpg

Added 3 more secluded water holes where water was directed away from interior road.
Water Hole I.jpg

Canuck5

Oh, man, as usual you're doing an outstanding job! When I get back down, I will be adding at least one more watering hole. A watering hole + a mineral site, near a food plot, is a big hit!

Triple C

Oh, man, as usual you're doing an outstanding job! When I get back down, I will be adding at least one more watering hole. A watering hole + a mineral site, near a food plot, is a big hit!

I'll post pics of the water holes after the 1st good rain. Got 6 of em scattered around the place. Easy to do with a track loader as long as you have a good clay base. Did it with this machine.
skid steer.jpg

Canuck5

Nice!!! And your son is just as interested in developing your property, as you are!! He's handy, too!

Triple C

Nice!!! And your son is just as interested in developing your property, as you are!! He's handy, too!

Truth is that I mostly post the pics and he does most of the work. Fortunate to have a son that does that stuff for a living and can make quick work of habitat improvements. I will take credit for the clover. That's my gig. :cool:

Canuck5

The buffet is always open

Attachments

• Deer's 1.JPG
    Deer's 1.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Deer's.JPG
    Deer's.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 32

Canuck5

Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Triple C

Triple C gave me some inspiration. I found a good deal on a skid steer this year and I bought a grapple/root rake to go with it. Here's a before and after picture of a new food plot location.

Glad I could be a little inspiration to someone! :cool: Amazing what you can do with a track skid steer. Water holes are a breeze with em.

Triple C

Any pics of the watering holes yet??

Took these pic last weekend. 5 weeks after creating water hole and it's bout full. This is the best of the 3 new water holes.
IMG_0532.jpg

This is 2nd of the 3 new water holes and it's bout half full already. Good clay base in it.
IMG_0531 (1).jpg

3rd water hole is a large mud puddle. Needs more work on the base. I'll post pics of it next time down.

Last edited:

shdw633

We have some springs that just "leak" out of the ground and go down this hill. We have thought about digging a hole just below where it leaks out of the hillside and putting a kiddie pool in it to let the water flow into that and fill it, when it fills the kiddie pool it would just overflow back down the hill. Do you think the deer would go to this buried pool to drink?

green thumb

We have some springs that just "leak" out of the ground and go down this hill. We have thought about digging a hole just below where it leaks out of the hillside and putting a kiddie pool in it to let the water flow into that and fill it, when it fills the kiddie pool it would just overflow back down the hill. Do you think the deer would go to this buried pool to drink?

I did this exact same thing last year and get some use but not as much as I had hoped. Seems like I get the same 4 or 5 doe families using it but when I set a cam on video I get a lot of deer that walk by and sniff it but don’t drink from it.