OMG Phil!!!!!!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
What just happened with Phil Mickelson?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

walukabuck

frustrating game. minor compared to some things I've done on course. He knows time is running out for him at the US open. I'm ok with it.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I just googled it. What wrong with doing that? It woulda rolled a long ways:huh:

BornToHuntAndFish

Shinnecock Hills has been spanking all of 'em all week. Big names can't even make the day 2 cut. Now, no player can stay below par.

Duff

Looked like something I would do. Lol

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
When was the last time that a player in a major got DQed for a technical violation.

Dub

The British commentator today just ripped Phil a new one for doing that yesterday.

Really ripped him.

Granted....Phil's penalty seemed to be a move he made in frustration....calculated frustration.....but, it sure emphasized a point that has been made repeatedly over the years....the U.S.G.A. course set up is embarrassingly exceedingly tricked up to protect par.

At least they have this commentator to distract them.......

Last edited:

baddave

i wouldn't put him down .. he explained why he did it .. wasn't the best move he could have made , but he didn't have 30 minutes to think about it either.. bet he's never done that before in his life .. i wish everyone would just let it go

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing Phil was doing was making a point to the USGA about their poor management of the course.

It wasn't to gain an advantage. If so, he would have just taken an unplayable from the beginning and they one shot penalty it imposes.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
If it had been Tiger, it would have been called a very well calculated move. :rolleyes::cautious:

Patriot44

Banned
Not surprising. He is a MAJOR risk taker and that has had a lot to do with him always being 2nd to Tiger for all of those years.

He is a real Tin Cup.

TinKnocker

The only thing Phil was doing was making a point to the USGA about their poor management of the course.

It wasn't to gain an advantage.
Phil's own comments seem to disagree:

Mickelson told reporters after the round he was aware he would be assessed a two-stroke penalty for his actions and determined that was a preferable outcome to letting the ball roll to a stop on its own.

Patriot44

Banned
Not surprising. He is a MAJOR risk taker and that has had a lot to do with him always being 2nd to Tiger for all of those years.
Phil's own comments seem to disagree:

Mickelson told reporters after the round he was aware he would be assessed a two-stroke penalty for his actions and determined that was a preferable outcome to letting the ball roll to a stop on its own.
Or the PGA got to him already.

TinKnocker

Or the PGA got to him already.
Could be. Everything I’ve read from Phil (and his wife) in the aftermath was it was a strategic action. One interview he basically said “I knew the rules and used them to my advantage. Don’t be mad at me for it, change the rule if you don’t like it” Paraphrasing but you get the idea.

At the end of the day I think it was poor form and unsportsmanlike. But I think the whole thing is ridiculously overblown.

Latest posts