manpower shortage

REDMOND1858

Anyone who can maintain a B average in these grade inflated times can get a 4 year degree in Georgia virtually debt free, thanks to the late Zell Miller.

So if your mindset is to borrow a lot of money to get a degree in art history, then being an LEO is probably not a good career choice.
That is true you can come out close to financially debt free.......but it still stands that if I decide to dedicate 2-4 years of my life to something, it’s going to be for
More than 40,000 a year.

Someone who just absolutely wants to be a GW, I guess I could understand doing it so they can pursue their dream job. But my main point is, they miss out in a lot of good candidates who would be interested if it wasn’t for that requirement. Most of the eligible LEO’s I know who have a degree, got the degree under tuition reimbursement by an employer. And once they have that degree, they are usually too high up the food chain at their current department to flip to another agency and start back at the bottom.

BeerThirty

One thing that I think everyone is overlooking here is the minimum 60 credit hour qualification. Maybe not in GA, but I know full well in other states you'd better at least have a 4-yr specialized degree in natural resources if you want your resume to rise to the top of the pile...

REDMOND1858

One thing that I think everyone is overlooking here is the minimum 60 credit hour qualification. Maybe not in GA, but I know full well in other states you'd better at least have a 4-yr specialized degree in natural resources if you want your resume to rise to the top of the pile...
From all the advertising for applicants iv seen lately, doesn’t sound like there are many resumes in that pile.

gatorhater

Tmpr111, you are right in most of what you say. However, it deters a bunch of potential prospects due to the reasons I stated. This newer generation in particular doesn't seem to have the drive that it takes. There are some perks to the job. However when you spend all of your time in the woods and on the water that is the last place you want to go on your day off. lol

JackSprat

That is true you can come out close to financially debt free.......but it still stands that if I decide to dedicate 2-4 years of my life to something, it’s going to be for
More than 40,000 a year.

Well clearly not every one takes that approach, thankfully for us and society in general.

The average starting salary for a public school teacher in Georgia is a tad more than $38,000 a year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Starting salary for biologists is only a few thousand more and it requires bachelors and masters degrees, about 6 or 7 years of college.