Mustard on butts

jigman29

How many do this? I did it on a brisket and was surprised at how you couldn't taste it after. I wanted to try it on 10 butts im cooking this weekend for my son's wedding. Any reason I should steer clear of it on pork? Or just roll on?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I always roll with mustard under the rub, whether it's butts, ribs, brisket, pork loin, whatever. It doesn't show up as a flavor in the finished product, but I think it helps the rub penetrate into the meat, and helps build a nice bark.

Oldstick

I think it might be the alkaline content of mustard that possibly contributes to the browning of the meat. I saw one chef on TV recommend baking soda on a prime rib roast he was cooking in the oven. Said it would help make a good brown color on the outside. He browned it hot for a few minutes, then turned down the heat to cook to medium rare.

Yellow mustard evidently is alkaline because a spoonful will help with acid indigestion.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think it might be the alkaline content of mustard that possibly contributes to the browning of the meat. I saw one chef on TV recommend baking soda on a prime rib roast he was cooking in the oven. Said it would help make a good brown color on the outside. He browned it hot for a few minutes, then turned down the heat to cook to medium rare.

Yellow mustard evidently is alkaline because a spoonful will help with acid indigestion.
Yellow mustard is actually strongly acidic. It's full of vinegar.

Lindseys Grandpa

I usually use mustard but have sprayed with cooking spray, haven't noticed much difference to tell truth.

hunter rich

I always use some yellow mustard on my butts. it helps to hold the rub and I believe it helps create a good bark.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. I'm with Hillbilly on the flavor penetrating the meat better.

dfhooked

Another great use of mustard is on your fish fillets before you bread them and toss em in the grease.

jigman29

Thanks y'all. I love the way it does on brisket so I hoped it would be a good binder for the rub on pork as well

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks y'all. I love the way it does on brisket so I hoped it would be a good binder for the rub on pork as well
It is, for sure.

red neck richie

Yup. I slather on mustard and then coat with a rub and put it on the smoker. It makes a great bark on the butts. I eat all the pieces with the bark on it first. My wife has to run me off. Its so good I can stop eating it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Yup. I slather on mustard and then coat with a rub and put it on the smoker. It makes a great bark on the butts. I eat all the pieces with the bark on it first. My wife has to run me off. Its so good I can stop eating it.

When I pull mine I like to mix the bark in with the rest of the pork and chop it up so it gets distributed throughout. It really enhances the taste.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I pull mine I like to mix the bark in with the rest of the pork and chop it up so it gets distributed throughout. It really enhances the taste.
You soundin' dangerously like a North Cackalackian, now. :bounce:

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Yup OP.......everyone I know brushes their butts with yellow mustard before hitting them with rub.

Now.....if you wanna get really freaky....use mayo on your ribs.

He sure does. Sounds just like the folks at Pete Jones Skylight Inn in Ayden, NC. Outstanding BBQ served there.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I done spent a lot of time in WNC. Can’t get used to hash though. It doesn’t do anything for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I done spent a lot of time in WNC. Can’t get used to hash though. It doesn’t do anything for me.
Me either. Hash isn't a NC thing, anyway. It's a SC thing. Never seen or heard of it in a half a century of living in NC, until I started spending time in SC. It's all over and very popular in SC for some reason. It's a waste of good ingredients, IMO. The closest equivalent in NC is Brunswick Stew. It's a big thing in central and eastern NC.

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
I usually use mustard. I was out the other day and used mayonnaise. Absolute best ribs ever. Not sure if it was coincidence or not. But yes load it up with mustard