Home owner ins cost?

Oldstick

Ours is about $850 for a 150K house. In the city limits with hydrants and up to date fire dept ratings etc. I believe it is Travelers, without looking it up. I agree Allstate got so high several years ago, even our independent agent called us up and asked if we wanted them to find something better.

BeerThirty

I pay $1,300/yr for a 1% deductible on a $360k, 3,600 sq. ft home with STate Farm. That is a reduced rate since I have no prior claim history and also bundle my two cars with them. Really do not like the $3,600 deductible... they said I could get a $1,000 deductible by increasing my premium to $1,900/yr.

GoldDot40

FWIW, I have Traveler's. My home is appraised a little north of $160K. My deductible is $1000 and my premium is $500/year. I live in Madison County and have a fire hydrant within 200 linear ft. Fire dept has an ISO score of 5.

If you are not shopping insurance every few years, you are most likely getting ripped off. Decades of "loyalty" only benefits the insurance company. Further, buying through an agent will certainly add to your costs. Unless you have some crazy complex situation, you should be able to do all your shopping yourself. Lastly, get an umbrella.......$175 a year for piece of mind is so worth it.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
If you are not shopping insurance every few years, you are most likely getting ripped off. Decades of "loyalty" only benefits the insurance company. Further, buying through an agent will certainly add to your costs. Unless you have some crazy complex situation, you should be able to do all your shopping yourself. Lastly, get an umbrella.......$175 a year for piece of mind is so worth it.
This is also true. We shop our auto and homeowners at least every two years. Thus far nobody can touch what we have.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Long time SF here too, no reward for loyalty. Fresh Auto-Owners quote looks good on the vehicles, anybody using them for homeowners as well?

bassboy1

Fresh Auto-Owners quote looks good on the vehicles, anybody using them for homeowners as well?
Yes. Rates are good, haven't had to make a claim with them, but I asked on another forum prior to getting them, and many folks said the claims experience was just fine.

Just swapped auto to them last week as well (had to wait for a citation to fall off the record - they are picky about driving record), for a significant savings over USAA.

GoldDot40

Long time SF here too, no reward for loyalty. Fresh Auto-Owners quote looks good on the vehicles, anybody using them for homeowners as well?
Used to be a customer. Had one homeowners claim for wind/hail damage to my roof and siding. Their adjuster came out and was very professional and spot-on. She was actually there the same day the roofer was there for an estimate. Even the roofer said he was impressed with her knowledge. They took care of me with zero hassle.

The reason I have Traveler's now is because my agent negotiated a better rate with them vs Auto Owners.

grady white

I own an independent insurance agency and have been in insurance for 24 years ...a lot of good advice on here and Auto Owners is hands down the best in Georgia right now ...if you have good credit and a decent claims history they can't be beat ..we represent a lot of different carriers and Auto Owners get's 95% of our business ...their rates just can't be touched in most situations ...they are not for everyone but if you have good credit (insurance score) they will save you money ...you need to look at the overall annual cost for the home and cars combined and let that determine your decision, for example Encompass and Travelers usually have a slightly better rate on homes but Auto Owners makes it up and then some on the car insurance by a long shot , they may be $100.00 more on the house but be $800.00 per year less on the cars and you want to always keep the home and cars together with the same carrier...the home rate also depends on the age, when the roof was replaced and the protection class ...if you are in a protection class 10 ( over 5 miles from fire dept.) then you will not find a good home rate period ! pull up Auto Owners website and locate a local agency and do yourself a favor and get them to quote your business ...if you are over 50 their rate will be even better as age 50 and over is their target/preferred market and more discounts will apply. All insurance carriers are credit based so the better your credit is the better the rate but some companies, mostly the ones that advertise the most are always the highest ...they have to get that advertising money back and the only way to make it up is in their rates ! Good luck

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Wasn't sure I was allowed post name of ins company so I didn't. Yes it's State Farm. I been with them since I was 19. I am now 52 and vehicle and house keeps going up.

I'm the type person that's afraid of change and complications that comes with it. I pay house,ins,and taxes in one monthly payment. So I don't want that to change. If I change ins company's I worry it would screw up my payment for house someway.
I have them for everything. Same auto policy number and agent since 1987 and the same home policy since 97 with that same agent. I feel your pain on the renewal increases that always end in $10 per month.

Not sure when your policy renews, but mine did last month. I received a notice of “potentially less coverage”. I’ve been paying a higher monthly premium that came with a high deductible for no depreciation on losses. That is gone now. But my premium was structured on that starting out. I’ve been trying to renegotiate this but only spinning my wheels.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
All insurance carriers are credit based so the better your credit is the better the rate
I’ve never understood this. The insurance company doesn’t risk any collateral if the person doesn’t pay on time.

GoldDot40

I’ve never understood this. The insurance company doesn’t risk any collateral if the person doesn’t pay on time.
It's based on probable responsibility. People with good credit are "usually" more responsible people.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It's based on probable responsibility. People with good credit are "usually" more responsible people.
Ok that does make sense. Thanks!

georgia357

I own an independent insurance agency and have been in insurance for 24 years ...a lot of good advice on here and Auto Owners is hands down the best in Georgia right now ......

I'm going to have to look into them. Our auto insurance just went up again and I figured that we're paying somewhere around $.75 for every mile that my wife and I drive. And that's just for the insurance.

grady white

they have the studies to back it up on the credit scores ..most companies went to credit based rates between 1999 to 2003...the more responsible someone is the less likely they are to have claims , it's not a perfect model by any means but it's pretty reliable. All companies in Georgia are taking rate increases almost annually on home and car insurance including Auto Owners but some are way higher than others

Jester896

Senior Clown
I started out with SF and had a claim within the first 3 months and the way I was treated they didn't get another dime of my money. Went to Nationwide from there for about 25 years and here in the past few years they started jumping large amounts for the coverage we had. Needless to say we are now with Travelers and Auto-Owners and savings a ton of money and have really good coverage on both...have always shopped for the best coverage for my needs...not the cheapest insurance I could get

Auto-Owners is a great company with a strong financial rating and good claim service. It also helps to have a good, service-oriented insurance agent. :) Also, it's time consuming and not at all entertaining, but everyone should read your insurance policy and any attached forms to the best of your ability so that you have an idea of what it does and does not cover.

grady white

10-4 on that ...reading a policy is about as much fun as watching paint dry but definitely worth the time it takes. A surprise at claim time is no fun. Travelers is good too. Another good company to look at is Southern Mutual , they are based in Athens Georgia ..very good folks over there as well ..I'm not a fan of the percentage deductibles either it only works out good for the insurance companies ..from what I have seen, SF may be the only company that is pushing customers to go to a percentage deductible , they run off some good customers with that percentage deductible that's for sure .

Oldstick

One thing I have noticed with every one of the home insurance policies we have had over the years is they seem to raise the premium something like 10% at renewal every single year. Even with zero claims. I know our property values were not rising at that rate during most of those years. Doubt if material/labor did either, but could be wrong. So, like others said, always shop every year or two. I guess they assume most will not shop around.

For example we started with Allstate in our current house, 2005 for about $500/year. 2012 they had steadily risen to $1200. That's when our independent agent called up and said they were in the process of trying to help all their Allstate customers find something else. Got us back down to $600 or so

GoldDot40

One thing I have noticed with every one of the home insurance policies we have had over the years is they seem to raise the premium something like 10% at renewal every single year. Even with zero claims. I know our property values were not rising at that rate during most of those years. Doubt if material/labor did either, but could be wrong. So, like others said, always shop every year or two. I guess they assume most will not shop around.

For example we started with Allstate in our current house, 2005 for about $500/year. 2012 they had steadily risen to $1200. That's when our independent agent called up and said they were in the process of trying to help all their Allstate customers find something else. Got us back down to $600 or so
From what I understand, it's due to both the amount of claims paid out by your provider to all of their clients and also the price if material increases. Seems like I even heard once they consider the age of your home...specifically the roof. The older it gets, the closer it gets to needing repairs and replacement.