New Filly

Jester896

Senior Clown
after seeing some posts in another forum about 80% stuff I started looking around at stuff for giggles. Suddenly I stopped giggling.

I found the Polymer P80 frames and they pretty much covered all of my objections to Block pistols (easy my EDC is a 43). If one was to have their frame modified... best I can tell it would be in the $350+ range to do most of the things that are already done with this frame.

I got a late start on the day...but after my 45 mile trek it was 10:00.
My buddy had the jig that came with it already set in the Bridgeport and began to show me what he was going to remove from the top of the frame and it wouldn't take but a minute.

Next up was the area where the slide return spring rides and used the Bridgeport to remove that material out to the lines that were marked in the frame. He told me I would finish the rest of that by hand and he would walk me through it when it was time.

Next up were drilling the holes for the pins...also done on the Bridgeport from each side. I had to put a bevel on them and hone the holes slightly in my finish work. The bits that come with it make it a little hard to get the pins in and out with an armorer's tool if you don't do this....you'll need a small hammer for assembly if you don't do this.

Bridgeport work took right at 15 minutes and the hand work I did to me about 25-30 minutes going at my very slow pace...cut it off 3 times and it is still too short...I opened the area we milled for the return spring all of the way to the slide block so that there were no issues with contact from the spring assembly.

While I was doing that my buddy was assembling the slide with spare parts and the Alpha Wolf barrel from his gun. We were trying to get a feel for fit since the slide he bought for his had fitment (milling) issues to see if mine was better. BOY WAS IT!

We found a mixed matched set of sights to finish off the testing. This is a 19 style frame. I fired these 15 rounds just as fast as I could to check it and make sure it didn't jam. My buddy pushed the rear sight a little with his sight pusher and his 15 were much tighter (he's a better shot than I am) and under the bull on the other target I forgot to pick up.

I have a Zev TiN coated barrel on the way along with a TiN coated steel slide return assembly. Also on the way is a Steel City mag well coated to match the slide. I will post better pictures of it when those items arrive. I will need a set of co-witness sights to compliment the RMR to finish it off.

IMG_1960.jpgIMG_1958_LI.jpgScan.jpgIMG_1959_LI.jpg

Reactions: Dub

Jester896

Senior Clown
It is very close to mine as far as angle. There is a little more heel on the P80. They added the beaver tail and it still allows for a higher grip than my .45 does, they removed the finger groves, relieved the trigger guard, and the texture is far more aggressive than any modified Glock I have held.

here are a couple of pics that may or may not help see the differences.

IMG_1961_LI (2).jpg
IMG_1962.jpg

transfixer

Cool , I may have to pick one of those up, I have a friend who is a machinist that could help me with the finishing. The only problem I've ever had with Glocks has been the angle of the grip, I've never wanted to butcher my original frames, so this would solve that problem , I can have one all modified and still go back to the original frame if I ever decide to trade it off.

Jester896

Senior Clown
It has all kinds of little features that I like. I like the more aggressive texture. For the magwell there is a protrusion on the front of the frame and only P80s will fit. They slide over the protrusion to lock the front to the frame and screw in like the others. Have you ever noticed on a factory frame that the front is flexible on most of them when installed? I used Steel City for the magwell and they lock on strong.

Here is another small thing...but I like it. There is a small recessed shelf for your thumb on the frame. I have seen additional stippling done on the ledge to help you lock it down.
IMG_1963.jpg

I may try to stipple it once I become a little more acquainted with it.

The trigger is the one that came in the lower parts kit and it will be upgraded at some point. 1st pull seems long to me...reset is pretty short...not something that would be hard to get used to

Jester896

Senior Clown
Finished up except for the RMR
IMG_1975.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

Played with the sights a little more along with a grip change. Fired these few mags pretty fast still checking for hiccups.

0707.jpg

These higher sights are a little different to me.
My grip appears to be just a tad on the high side as well :D

IMG_1974.jpg