GA Forestry/new lease

Big Andy

Has anyone ever used the forestry service for loader work on there property? I just got a new lease and I need some work done. It has a power line on it and I am interested in planting that as well. I was also told about a program that they will pay some for plantings for birds. Does anyone have any info on any of this?

Possum

Banned
There are a few NCRC programs that will help a landowner with improvements for wildlife.
I took advantage of the EQUIP program this year.
IMO it wasn’t worth all the trouble and paperwork I had to file. In the end they sent me $240 for prescribed fire. I would just recommend doing it yourself and save the hassle. Unless you are talking about large scale plans of 100 acres or more.

fountain

The gfc doesn't do loader work that I'm aware of. Depending upon your location, that unit may have something to suit your needs, but I'm not sure.
What exactly is is that you are wanting done?

The GFC primarily does harrowing plots and plowing fire breaks. Depending upon the size of the tractor used, prices will vary. Typically its 95/hr to harrow and 75/he to plow plus a $60 haul fee

fountain

Curious/being nosy possum, did you plant trees through equp9, or just do a burn? Sounds very worth while to me on the payout your recieved. Not sure what all paperwork goes along with that though, but I wouldn't think it would be much

Possum

Banned
Curious/being nosy possum, did you plant trees through equp9, or just do a burn? Sounds very worth while to me on the payout your recieved. Not sure what all paperwork goes along with that though, but I wouldn't think it would be much

That was just a payment for burning. They wanted to do a bunch more stuff that I didn’t want to do. Like arial herbicide by helicopter. If I had done that it would have been a much bigger payout. I burned 9 acres. It cost me about 600 to make the breaks so it almost paid for half my cost. But if I could guess, I spent a days worth of meeting them, meeting the forester, filling out paperwork, etc. if I could do it over I would have just done it myself. If I have a bigger project in the future I might use it again. If someone burns a larger area it pays $25 per acre so that would be worth it.

davidhelmly

I'm sure every county is different but I used the Forestry Service to push out and harrow all of the loading docks on my lease when I first got it. It's been 10+ years so I don't remember what they charged per hour but I was shocked at how reasonable it was and they did great work!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You need to check you lease very close. Timber Companies are very particular about what a deer leasee can do on the land. Private owners can be easy to work with or difficult. Either way the forestry Division can help you out and help answer some of the questions you may have.

rstallings1979

Ga Forestry is dirt cheap on pulling firebreaks and the guys are all really nice that I have ever worked with. Not sure if they will offer services to a person who doesn't own the land though. I rehabbed an old pecan orchard of ours and they brought their big offset harrows in and turn the dirt for me at a cheap price. You can't beat their pricing.

We were replanting trees this year and the planter asked if I wanted him to pull the firebreaks and I asked if his charges were close to Ga Forestry and he laughed and said no one charges that low.

frankwright

We used them several times on a paper company lease we had in Upson County. They made several big food plots for us and it was not expensive.
They bring big equipment and they go to town.

wildlands

If you do not own the land then the landowner will need to be the one to initiate the contact with forestry. They will sign some paperwork giving forestry to do the work and send you the bill. As others have said very reasonable. After having forestry turn and area a time or two most spots are easy for a farm tractor to work.

Here is a link to the county by county contact info for the GFC. They do not do land clearing but will put in firebreaks and harrow open areas.
http://gatrees.org/about-us/contact-us/county-units/index.cfm

Possum

Banned
$600 for fire breaks on 9 acres??
Were you preparing to plant trees or just doing a burn?

That’s $125 per hour on a dozer. GFC charges $90 hr but I tried for months to get them out and they never would. I’m sure all offices are very different but the one in Wilkes county totally dropped the ball. The forester there is great but the rest of them not so much.
The guy I hired did a great job and be broke that 9 acres up into 3, three acre blocks so I can burn one a year on a rotation. Very well worth what I paid him.