Open carry antis and gun owners judging gun owners...

Robert28

My oldest stepson is a Deputy with a metro area dept, they are " required " to carry concealed when carrying off duty, I don't know that they can " force " them to do so, but it is what they strongly suggest, and I would imagine they consider it a reflection upon the appearance and conduct of their officers. Which they do have some control over.

There are valid reasons backed up with real world experience as to why that is an advantage. Both for off duty officers and for civilians , you can ignore those if you choose to, its your right,

You can carry however you wish, doesn't matter to me, I prefer others not to know I'm armed, until its advantageous for me to reveal that I am.

Hypothetical scenario, you are in a bank, cashing a check, there are three or four other customers there also, two guys come in and pull out guns and tell everyone to stay still this is a robbery, your gun is hanging on your belt, in an outside the waistband holster, they see it and immediately point a weapon at you , tell you not to move and they walk up to you and take your gun, all the time pointing a gun at your head. Now you aren't armed anymore, cause you didn't have time to react.
Or , you try to pull your gun when they announce they are robbing the place, they've already seen your gun, and beat you to the punch, you're now wounded or dead.

This whole time there is an off duty officer or civilian among the other customers, who is carrying concealed, he simply complies with the robbers commands until they are distracted enough by other customers until he can pull his weapon from concealment and shoot one or both of the robbers, in my humble opinion, and most peoples, the guy with his weapon concealed stands a better chance of stopping this robbery or surviving it than someone open carrying.

Its your choice totally, carry however you wish.
Does your stepson get to carry whatever he wants when he's off duty or does it have to be an approved service weapon? I've heard some departments allow you to carry a backup of your choosing but wasn't sure how off duty requirements went.

Robert28

I carry open in the woods. But if Im in public I do not want anyone to know I am armed. Yo are dead on .
Same here. Although I will admit that I have a hard time finding a concealed carry holster that I like vs my open carry Milt Sparks holsters. I can't get pants one size bigger because then they fit weird but if I get pants in my size it doesn't leave much room to shove a holster and gun in em.

transfixer

Does your stepson get to carry whatever he wants when he's off duty or does it have to be an approved service weapon? I've heard some departments allow you to carry a backup of your choosing but wasn't sure how off duty requirements went.

They can carry whatever they choose off duty, they are issued G22's , most of the guys carry G23's or G27's off duty.

someguyintraffic

Yes, I see the attaching clip or loop, but then I am predisposed to look for things like that, technically you aren't "open carrying" , open carry usually refers to a holster outside the waist, as in a holster attached to a belt hanging outside the pants in full view of everyone,

and your shirt is overhanging the pistol, effectively "concealing" it .

If you can see it then its not concealed.

transfixer

Same here. Although I will admit that I have a hard time finding a concealed carry holster that I like vs my open carry Milt Sparks holsters. I can't get pants one size bigger because then they fit weird but if I get pants in my size it doesn't leave much room to shove a holster and gun in em.

It has gotten harder to carry concealed comfortably the older I get, but that has more to do with my expanding waistline , and not enough room in my pants for a decent size carry piece, fall and wintertime is easier, summertime like now I find myself with my lcp in my pocket more often, or my xds covered by a long t shirt, thankfully I don't have to dress up with my job. that would make it a little harder .

For those that want to carry comfortably IWB, Andrews Custom Leather makes some of the best, most comfortable ones out there, they have a holster called the McDaniel II which is very comfortable and extremely well made, I have two of them I've had for over 20yrs, I prefer them to any kydex stuff currently made.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I may look at things a little different...
I choose to deep carry in public (LCP in rt. front pocket).
It is what I call a "belly gun". Close range to protect me and mine in an emergency. I'm not going to run into a conflict with it and defend everyone.
In my vehicle, handguns are easily accessible from the drivers seat without a lot of motion simply because you can't get your hand in your pocket while seated.

GoldDot40

Whenever I see somebody openly carrying, I just take notice and go on about my business. If that's what they prefer...so be it. I prefer to carry concealed because I feel like element of surprise is almost as effective as carrying a gun in the 1st place. To each his own.

rosewood

I believe many departments consider their officers on duty 24/7. Therefore it would follow that they should carry 24/7.

I for the life of me can't understand why a LEO would not carry 24/7.

rosewood

As some others have said, concealing gives you a tactical advantage. Maybe open carry tells others "don't mess with me". But if you get in a situation where you are being threatened, just pull up your shirt to tell them that.

One scenario where I think open carry would be a good idea. Someone in a wheel chair with a chest holster or cross draw makes a lot of sense. It says maybe I am handicapped, but I am not helpless.

Rosewood

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Carry Permits are not exercising a right, they are permission slips.
If you have a permission slip and want to open carry, that's fine. It is just the limit of your permission slip. Folks are often very proud of their permission slip.
I think concealed carry is simply more considerate and an absolute tactical advantage.
^^^This^^^

True 2nd Amendment rights do not delineate between law abiding citizen or felon, open carry or concealed, 6 round cylinder or 30 round P-Mag. In a truly free 2nd amendment society criminals wouldn't be emboldened to commit crimes with or without firearms for fear of losing their life in the process. What Government regulations / permitting has done is restrain and penalize the law abiding citizen while providing an environment where the criminal has the advantage.

As far as telling people what, where and how to carry, let each man use his own judgment.

rosewood

I think many of us on here are not saying you should not open carry. We are saying we think it is a bad idea and we are explaining why we have that opinion. If it is legal, you can carry open all you want. It is just our opinion and our decision to conceal ours. Just like it is your decision to open carry.

Rosewood

rosewood

My Sig is in leather inside the waist band. Only the handle is ever visible.

That isn't so bad. With only the handle, most folks will never notice. It is those floppy nylon holsters that stick out that draw the attention.

rosewood

Here is Jerry's take on open carry. Gotta love his sense of humor.

Rosewood

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I think many of us on here are not saying you should not open carry. We are saying we think it is a bad idea and we are explaining why we have that opinion. If it is legal, you can carry open all you want. It is just our opinion and our decision to conceal ours. Just like it is your decision to open carry.

Rosewood
Define legal. The 2nd Amendment states "shall not be infringed" and makes no stipulation to how you carry. I for one carry concealed in public and open when in the woods unless it is public land then I am concealed with a variety of tools at my disposal.

The point of this thread is not what our opinion of how to carry is. It seems to be, what business of it is ours? Let a man carry how he wants to carry.

rosewood

I guess you didn't read my post very well did you? Never said it was any of our business, just stating our opinion why we don't.

I too conceal in public and open in the woods.

rosewood

Go ahead and carry your handgun in the court house and explain why "shall not be infringed applies" and see where that gets you.

I agree it shouldn't be infringed, but until we have a court that throws out all of the "infringing" laws, we have to abide by them or suffer the consequences.

Rosewood

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Go ahead and carry your handgun in the court house and explain why "shall not be infringed applies" and see where that gets you.

I agree it shouldn't be infringed, but until we have a court that throws out all of the "infringing" laws, we have to abide by them or suffer the consequences.

Rosewood
We are the ones that allowed those laws in the first place. ;)

jrickman

I value comfort over concealment. I carry OWB and just leave my shirt untucked the majority of the time, but I don't care if it prints or looks funny. If I tuck my shirt in, I put on a sport coat or light jacket. If I get hot or uncomfortable I take the jacket off and the gun is visible. No political statement being made at all. I'm just not going to make myself physically uncomfortable just so others can be "mentally comfortable" and I'm not overly concerned with gaining the element of surprise or anything like that.