Boat Exploded

wvdawg

Staff member
Tried to launch yesterday afternoon at Barry's on Jackson Lake, but was turned away due to explosion of a boat that was being trailered at the ramp. Was told that the gentleman was thrown about 40 feet out into the lake by the explosion. Saw the fire on the boat when we crossed the bridge, but can't find out anything else. Anyone else hear about this?

wvdawg

Staff member
Thanks - that confirms the stories we were given at the ramp. Prayers lifted for those affected by this tragedy.

JackSprat

Looking at the boat and the fire, and that it was an explosion, and the engine is an inboard, much more likely a leak in the fuel line, or fuel in the bilge. Size of the fire makes me think leaking line.

Boat most likely has built in gas tanks, which are permanently vented.

Another pic:

https://www.covnews.com/news/crime/update-dnr-investigating-jackson-lake-boat-explosion-fatality/

hunterofopportunity

Stick your head down in the hole and smell for gas, I was lucky and discovered a leaking in floor tank on my boat. My thoughts go out to his family.

rospaw

Another thing ,,,,, Don't just go to the auto parts store and buy an Alt, starter, distributor that is not designed to use on a boat. Some shielding (anti spark) incorporated in marine parts that are not in automotive parts.
I always open the cowling before cranking any inboard or inboard/out board. Watched a house boat go boom one eve at lanier in the marina at his slip. Turned out he put a high pressure fuel pump on his twins and it sprung a leak.