Quail

oochee hunter

I have seen more quail this year than ever before! Just today while spraying a food plot had a covey of birds (10 ) maybe flush from the food plot. Got me to thinking if spraying now is detrimental to the birds? Is this increase in sightings just a local thing or they on the rebound maybe?

grady white

I can't imagine the spraying being a problem ...the land I lease is in cotton, corn and peanuts in rotation , the famers don't like a single weed in their crops so they are spraying very often especially the edges to keep the weed growth pushed back and we have several nice size coveys that seem to be on the rise , I think they rebound in certain areas only to decline at other times for whatever reason. Red tail hawks get their fill for sure !

Triple C

More quail and bunnies this year than any year since owning the property. Credit it to 1st thinning of pines a couple years ago which has caused and explosion of undergrowth and cover.

maker4life

Fallow food plot equals good cover and bugs. No cover or bugs, no birds.

The birds aren't living in your plot but are obviously utilizing it. If they've got plenty of cover nearby they'll be fine. Consider adding some grains into your plot mix to give them something later on.

BriarPatch99

I am also seeing many more covey and pairs this year ....

It sure would be nice to get back to the quail days of the sixties ...

My two old dogs and me had a really great time from the mid sixties through the early seventies ... Spot, Lady, the Model 12 20ga sure enjoyed that period ...

yellowfin

I have 3 wild quail feeders i am about to list on GON marketplace that you may benefit from

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We`re wrapped up in quail. Part of the reason for the comeback is that we are eliminating every fire ant bed we come across.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic,

How are you eliminating the fire ant beds?

We poison every fire ant hill as we come up on them. I rarely find one off in the woods or swamp on the place. They`re always along the roads, foot paths, and fields. Over the last couple of years we`ve put a hurting on them.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Several kinds over the years, but right now, Spectracide. You just have to stay on them and sometimes repeat the treatment. I`m in the woods several times a week during the off season, and it`s part of my practice to dust em as I find em.