Quota Hunts - How do they work?

JHannah92

Basically, every time you apply for a hunt and don't get drawn you recieve a point. You can then add your points to your application next year. Points increase your chances of getting drawn. Some hunts can be drawn with no points. Other, more popular hunts can take 4-5+. This means to hunt one of those, you'd get rejected at least 4 years before you had enough points to get drawn.

Hope this helps.

BeerThirty

I'm not sure if there's any truth in this (I should really just pick up the phone and call the DNR), but I've heard that each point represents a 20% chance to draw. I've been saving up points and I'm really banking on being able to do my first gator hunt next year in the best zone with 5 points.

Long Cut

I'm not sure if there's any truth in this (I should really just pick up the phone and call the DNR), but I've heard that each point represents a 20% chance to draw. I've been saving up points and I'm really banking on being able to do my first gator hunt next year in the best zone with 5 points.

Make sure it’s more than 4 points, got rejected for Zone 2 this year...

1982ace

Question about points, are points gained transferable between different species of game? For example I have 8 points with turkey and 1 with deer, so could have I used some of those for a gator hunt? I thought everything was separate but I heard differently from someone.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Question about points, are points gained transferable between different species of game? For example I have 8 points with turkey and 1 with deer, so could have I used some of those for a gator hunt? I thought everything was separate but I heard differently from someone.
No, each species/hunt type accumulates points separately. However, within the species/hunt type you can apply for different areas or time periods each year.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

The number of points required to draw depends on the number of applicants and the number of slots available for each hunt. Each point could be worth 20% on one hunt, or 100% on another. The odds of drawing from previous years is usually a good guide to how many points you need to have to draw a particular hunt. That info is published below:

https://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/quota#odds