Some of my tree plantings

huntall

I've never ordered trees from starkbros.com but my buddy swears by them.
I figured I'd give them a try. I ordered 2 desirable pecan, 1 Lakota pecan, and 1 Pawnee pecan. These grafted pecan trees say that they will be bearing nuts in 5 to 7 years. That is amazing
my pecan trees came in and they look really good. Got them planted about 38 ft apart in a single row in a wide open field. They should really do good.
This is my first try at pecans

huntall

Anywhere from $15 to over $50
I bought faster producing variety that would pollinate each other.
I also wanted large pecans so look at size pecan, years to produce and then pollinators that would work together. Like I said...this is my first try at pecans but that's what iv been looking at

huntall

Well......lost all the pictures due to photo bucket.
Chestnuts and sawtooth are loaded. I have cut around my orchard about twice this summer. Not done too much, because I have been working on my new 40 acres. Thiso 40 I live on and been workin on a lot

southernman13

That's too bad. I hear a lot of people saying that. I have a few sawtooth with acorns on them. This is the first year they have had them. Not to many on there but it's really cool. Hopefully next year they'll really load up. I planted several dunstan and Chinese chestnuts this year. I'm sure it'll take a while for them to produce.

huntall

That's too bad. I hear a lot of people saying that. I have a few sawtooth with acorns on them. This is the first year they have had them. Not to many on there but it's really cool. Hopefully next year they'll really load up. I planted several dunstan and Chinese chestnuts this year. I'm sure it'll take a while for them to produce.
My sawtooth had just a few that first year that they produced then really loaded the next. Same thing with dunstans.....they are really surprising me this year.

southernman13

That's cool man. It's nice to see the fruits of your labor. It's very rewarding it also very upsetting when you loose a tree that you've been tending to for several years much less loosing 20 of them. Oh well it happens and I'm glad for the survivors hehe. I'll continue to plant. Some of the dunstans I have in the tubes have really shot up. They're probably 18" or more out the top. They're bending over actually. I'm thinking I may need to add support to straighten them out.

southernman13

Some of mine are producing this year. We planted them from bare root in February 2014. They're not loaded by any means but a few have acorns. Really cool. Next year should be really good. They're really growing with all the rain this year

huntall

How old were the sawtooths when they produced?

I had some produce that I grew from acorn and fertilized and babied in 4 years from seed to producing acorns. It's incredible how they do if you give them room, plenty of sun, keep grass away from around them , mulch and fertilize .

huntall

Some of mine are producing this year. We planted them from bare root in February 2014. They're not loaded by any means but a few have acorns. Really cool. Next year should be really good. They're really growing with all the rain this year
Good to hear they are doing good

XJfire75

Any updates?!

Loved going through the thread, just wish the pics worked...stupid photobucket.

Im going to get started on a micro orchard in my backyard this summer and I’ve been doing research and skimming threads on here. Love planning a little deer sanctuary in my own backyard with some fruit and nuts for my family!

Plan is to plant 2-3 chestnuts, 4 persimmons, a couple pear and apple trees and an oak or 2 in a 1/3 acre opening along with a small food plot around the trees early on.

bhouston

Small orchard

Sounds good, but some things to keep in mind.

Pears: if planting pears, be sure to plant 2 or 3 varieties so as to have pollinators in your orchard. So, if you plant a Moonglow, be sure to plant an Orient. Lots of info on this site and internet on pear pollinators.

Apples: same as pears - need cross pollination to produce fruit. Most crab apples are good pollinators for most apples. Look for blight resistant varieties. Fire blight seems to be getting worse each year.

Persimmons: great deer attractor - but must have female to get fruit. The male and female look the same, but only the female will produce fruit. Also, need a male nearby for pollination. Most nursery bought persimmons are males - so be sure to but several with at least 1 or 2 guaranteed as females (grafted) or you can search this site for grafting technique.

Good luck and have a blast.

southernman13

I planted some keifer pears I think they are. Last year and so far this year I have 1 pear hehe. I’m pretty sure the nursery said I don’t need variety with this type. I believe I put out 10 or them. Had 10 or so year before but I didn’t cage them and the Deer rubbed and broke every one of them.

huntall

Any updates?!

Loved going through the thread, just wish the pics worked...stupid photobucket.

Im going to get started on a micro orchard in my backyard this summer and I’ve been doing research and skimming threads on here. Love planning a little deer sanctuary in my own backyard with some fruit and nuts for my family!

Plan is to plant 2-3 chestnuts, 4 persimmons, a couple pear and apple trees and an oak or 2 in a 1/3 acre opening along with a small food plot around the trees early on.
That's what I thought I would do. Do about 25 or so soft mast and some chestnut trees and sawtooth and all them years later I'm still planting when I can.lol

huntall

Last year I planted my first mulberry trees and both tripled in size. One turned out to be male and the other turned out to be female.

At my new home orchard iv got 5 good Muscadine Vines Going and got post and cable with turnbuckle on each end of the row so I can tighten cable if needed over time.

spencer12

Last year I planted my first mulberry trees and both tripled in size. One turned out to be male and the other turned out to be female.

At my new home orchard iv got 5 good Muscadine Vines Going and got post and cable with turnbuckle on each end of the row so I can tighten cable if needed over time.

On one of my properties we have more wild muscadine vines than I've ever seen, last year I trimmed all the brush they were clinging to and this year I fertilized the vines. Theyre thicker than kudzu now. Last year they were raining muscadines, but after fertilizing them this year we should have twice as many. Deer love them.

huntall

The rains should really be good on the trees.
Most of my dunstans has spurs. My sawtooth has plenty acorns coming on nicely also