Mercury 4 strokes...

EastmanFireFighter

The new and the old. It seems that everyone is hung up on Yamaha's so I was just getting a consensus from the guys who put hours on the Mercs throughout the year vs 3 months out of the year.

alphachief

I think the new Merc's are definitely quieter than the Yammy's. And from what I've heard from the people I know that run them...just as dependable.

flatsmaster

I'm with Alpha on new ... I've heard good things about there big motors ...hard to beat a Yam on resale bc people like them ... now in the older Merc's in 115hp down I know a lot of guys that have changed or are in the service bay way to much for my liken... I predominantly sightfish now and run a technical poling skiff so I'm all about weight and getting skinny so I run the 4 stroke 90hp suzuki bc it's light compared to other 4stroke motors .. it's a game of inches where I fish on where u can run and where u can't

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I have Yamaha on my new boat now because that's what the boat came with. I've been runnin it for 3 years now and I'm very VERY happy with my Yamaha!
In the past I've had Mercury products and Evenrude products.
While boat shopping I would have bought another Mercury product in a heartbeat!!! In fact Mercury was on the Boston Whalers and my wife and I were very excited about that. Ended up with a boat with a Yammi on it and I've had a smile on my face with that motor too!!
But yes I've had GREAT service out of my past Mercs.

Ihunt

I have a Mercury 2 stroke that’s a fine motor.

I’ve never owned a Mercury 4 stroke but I have had and do have a Suzuki 4 stroke. They’re cheaper than the Yammis and come with a 6 year warranty.

I would compare all three in regards to price, warranty, service etc and go from there. Don’t get hung up on one brand because one of us likes or dislikes it.

Jim Boyd

There is a reason Yamaha has so much of the market share.....

I have owned several Mercury engines over the years - both 2 and 4T - and all were excellent.

little rascal

Yamaha used to build the 4 strokes for Merc, and Mecury used their own electronics, have heard Merc builds their own now???
Mercs are awesome, Yamaha's are awesome. I would by either unless I could find a good buy on a Tohatsu!

doomtrpr_z71

My experiences with Mercury have ruined them for me, I have friends that love them, I certainly wouldn't buy one of there 40, 50, or 60hp models since they are made in China. My next boat will have an etec unless the Suzuki is too good of a deal.

Ihunt

My experiences with Mercury have ruined them for me, I have friends that love them, I certainly wouldn't buy one of there 40, 50, or 60hp models since they are made in China. My next boat will have an etec unless the Suzuki is too good of a deal.

On your bigger motors the Suzuki is about $3,000.00 cheaper than the Yamaha. The Suzuki also has a 6 year warranty. Not sure on the Yammi.

Yamaha’s are excellent motors but every year I see more and more Suzuki’s in the salt water. I think that will continue as long as the Suzuki’s stand up to the salt water. Imo that part isn’t as proven as it is with the Yammis.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My 20 Mercury I bought in 1977 is still a good one. All it needs is a new water pump and impeller. My 2007 4 stroke 40 horse Mercury has served me very well too, as has my 2014 4 stroke 115 Yamaha I use in salt water.

pottydoc

There is a reason Yamaha has so much of the market share.....

I have owned several Mercury engines over the years - both 2 and 4T - and all were excellent.
Yup, the fact that they own a bunch of the boat companies they hang Yams on. They're good motors, probably the best at one time, but not anymore. The Verados are proven at this point, the 4s 150 non supercharged is probably the b st on the market. The Suzukis are great motors, as are the Etecs. Yamaha will be the most expensive by several $1000.00 on the bigger motors compared to the Suzi's. The yamahas have a major design issue with their 350, their 300's make oil, the 2002-2008 F200-250's have major mid section corrosion issues. On top of it, if you want to repower with one, or hang one on a new boat other than the ones they own, or are the only supplier for, you will wait six months or more for any of their bigger motors. The new natural aspirated Mercs are looking like a winner right now. And just to keep the hater tag off me, if I look out the window I can see my bsyboat with the 20 year old Yam 115 on it. I think it's been in the shop twice at the most. Unfortunately, Yamaha is living on its laurels, instead of looking to the future.

Jim Boyd

Yup, the fact that they own a bunch of the boat companies they hang Yams on. They're good motors, probably the best at one time, but not anymore. The Verados are proven at this point, the 4s 150 non supercharged is probably the b st on the market. The Suzukis are great motors, as are the Etecs. Yamaha will be the most expensive by several $1000.00 on the bigger motors compared to the Suzi's. The yamahas have a major design issue with their 350, their 300's make oil, the 2002-2008 F200-250's have major mid section corrosion issues. On top of it, if you want to repower with one, or hang one on a new boat other than the ones they own, or are the only supplier for, you will wait six months or more for any of their bigger motors. The new natural aspirated Mercs are looking like a winner right now. And just to keep the hater tag off me, if I look out the window I can see my bsyboat with the 20 year old Yam 115 on it. I think it's been in the shop twice at the most. Unfortunately, Yamaha is living on its laurels, instead of looking to the future.

Excellent observations.

I have had two 115 4T Yamaha’s however and neither one ever had a wrench on them.

I still have one of them and it is 12 years old and basically still looks brand new.

You make excellent and viable points, however.

trubluau

I'll say this. My first boat had a 2 stroke Mercury 90 hp and I hated it. My last boat had twin 150 yamaha 4 strokes and I put over 800 hrs on them without the first problem. My current boat has twin 300hp 4 stroke Mercury's with over 500 hrs and they have been flawless as well. The Mercury's are quieter than the yamaha's but that is about it. I service mine every 100 hrs and I don't run them WOT for more than 5 minutes at a time and that is usually at the end of the day once I reach the channel. With that said, If I was buying new motors tomorrow, it would be Mercury.

pottydoc

It's pretty hard to screw up buying new outboards today. All the builders have stepped up, and with only one exception (a boat with 350 yamaha(s) on it) I wouldn't let what as hanging on the back influence my decision on buying a boat very much. The availability of a good, reputable dealer nearby would make way more difference than the brand to me.

swamp hunter

Most Modern outboards don't die...we kill them with neglect..

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Pottydoc is spot on. Find out which dealer has the best repair service in your area. Then buy the motor they service. All of them will eventually require work. Gil