Some of my tree plantings

southernman13

What are you referring to when you say spurs? I have some I planted feb17. Some are nearing 8-10’ that are in tubes not sure if they have spurs

huntall

What are you referring to when you say spurs? I have some I planted feb17. Some are nearing 8-10’ that are in tubes not sure if they have spurs
I'm just calling the spiky nut shell spurs...not sure what they really called but most trees are forming them this year. They will ***** you like a needle

aaron batson

I planted three more dunstans that I had in pots this past weekend. I also plowed around some 2-3 year old trees to keep the areas around them cleaner. They are all doing great and some older ones have nuts. I probably have close to 200 chestnut trees in the ground now....Sorry for the bad pics.

Attachments

• 2018trees.jpg
    2018trees.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2018trees1.jpg
    2018trees1.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 53

Jack Ryan

I have 4 Dunstans I got from Rural King. I planted them 3 years ago and two died so I they replaced those. Now 2 are 3 years old and 2 are 2 years old, but I noticed ONE nut on one of them last year and I just looked after reading this thread. One of them has ONE nut on it this year.

I know where there are a few OLD mature trees producing crap tons of nuts and I picked up bucket loads last year just to try all the different ways of eating them. I should have been planting them, I might have had seedlings to put out this year. I won't make that mistake again.

I've put out cypress that I have in stages now from 6 feet tall to 30 feet and peacans, hicans, butternut, white oak, persimmons. I've only got about 11 acres so I can't go at the scale the OP has but I can back him up on "don't put them too close together". You are better off with ONE good tree every 30 -40 feet than 3 trees 10 feet apart.

Those quince shrubs are also called Japonica around here. I dug up 4 starts of those last spring and 3 of the four are looking pretty good. I did water the tallest one I planted though, it is closest to the house.

One thing I've started this year is making wraps out of milk jugs instead of buying those tubes. Those dang tubes were costing me more than the tree they were on. I read on their web site the tubes were essentially the same plastic used in mild jugs and that light a bulb for me. I only wish we drank more milk now, I don't get enough of them.

glynr329

My trees are kinda disappointing. I have 1 tree out of about 12 trees 1 has spurs. Some are twice as big 15 feet nothing.

Jack Ryan

Nice work guys and they are good tasting roasted to me too so don't feel too bad about eating some.lol
I picked up 5 gallon bucket loads of those at a house offering them free "you pick".

What I learned from the experience was there was only one or two ways we tried to fix them that were palatable. And it was unbelievable the numbers of worms that come out of those after they have been in a bucket for a few days.

I just picked them all up to start with and filled buckets. Then I researched the internet about ways to fix them.

Next day I started sorting through the buckets using a gold pan to look at "20" at a time and just snap judging them, worms, worms, worms, little one, good one and it went about like that to. The culls set around a while I thought I'd just scatter them in some hunting grounds and then changed my mind about that since critters eat them like candy.

For several days the dog was FILLING UP on them like it was crack cocaine. Then I read they are bad for dogs but I'd think it would have KILLED him by then. Now I remember that is why I didn't plant any more around the house, it worried me how he would eat them up. I'd dump a 5 gallon bucket down by the target range to watch the deer and the dog would eat them ALL if I didn't tie him up.

Since I was here spreading around info based on research I'd done a year ago, I decided to do a little of it over again to be sure I knew what I was talking about.

I think I figured out a little of the "mystery to me".

When I looked THIS TIME the first web pages to come up were talking about "horse chestnuts" and "HORSE chestnut poisoning". So I had to look up what they were calling horse chestnuts, heck that is just a fancy European name for Buckeyes. I've ALWAYS been taught buckeyes are poison. So I searched some more and sure enough the regular chest nuts are NOT HARMFUL to dogs, just the buck eye chestnuts.

https://www.reference.com/pets-animals/chestnuts-poisonous-dogs-95b862ccc6cb7738

Sorry for letting the confusion inside my own brain spill out in to the forum.

Last edited:

Jack Ryan

My trees are kinda disappointing. I have 1 tree out of about 12 trees 1 has spurs. Some are twice as big 15 feet nothing.
I think getting them out in the light away from other trees is key and being in good ground.

Just today I grabbed a shovel of "mud" off the septic finger and tossed a shovel full at the base of my smallest persimons and Dunstans. Then watered them all. I'll fill in where I shoveled out with sandy dirt from down by the creek.

SRShunter

What are some of the best trees you have planted for deer? As far as good growth and bearing at a early age? Top five trees or shrubs. Hard mast or soft mast?

huntall

What are some of the best trees you have planted for deer? As far as good growth and bearing at a early age? Top five trees or shrubs. Hard mast or soft mast?
I'd say for fast growth it would be water oaks, willow oaks , sawtooth oaks, chestnut trees and best soft mast would be no dought all around best for deer for me is pears. They love pears!
Fastest to produce hard mast is dwarf chinkapin, sawtooth, chestnut, then probably water oak and willow oak.
Live oaks usually produce fairly quickly.
This is the ones that has done well for me.
I love white oaks best of all but I didn't plant many because they take so long to produce acorns.

SRShunter

Just bought some swamp white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, shumard oaks, live oaks, and some chestnut trees to go in the ground this fall. Most of the trees are 5' tall so hopefully they all make it with a little TLC. 20 trees all together can't wait for 10yrs Down the road to see what happens

huntall

Just bought some swamp white oaks, swamp chestnut oaks, shumard oaks, live oaks, and some chestnut trees to go in the ground this fall. Most of the trees are 5' tall so hopefully they all make it with a little TLC. 20 trees all together can't wait for 10yrs Down the road to see what happens
Nice....good mix of trees! Keep them in at least Partial shade most of the day and water as needed until fall planting and I bet the do great! You can even put extra straw in top of pot to help hold moisture and block direct sun from hitting the exposed soil around the roots. Works great. Good luck

SRShunter

Alright got a good one for yall. Anybody ever dig up some trees they've had planted for 2 or 3 years of being in the ground? Didn't really think my plan through when I planted them. So this fall I was planning on moving some of them while they are dormant. Hate to lose my trees...what kinda success rate do you think I will have doing so? Some crab apples pears and a couple of oaks. Not moving them far just wanna get them in lines where mowing will be easier.

Jim Boyd

Great, great thread. Lots of hard work, would love to see the tree pics from today!!!!

huntall

Great, great thread. Lots of hard work, would love to see the tree pics from today!!!!
I will get some soon if i can. The trees are getting big. I have circulation and past bloodclots in my legs and cant stand or sit for long periods so my sons been helping me out a lot. I havnt been able to work for over a year. they love all we have done to our place. Even if im driving on side by side watching them pruning and such. they love for me to be out with them looking at everything.

Jim Boyd

I will get some soon if i can. The trees are getting big. I have circulation and past bloodclots in my legs and cant stand or sit for long periods so my sons been helping me out a lot. I havnt been able to work for over a year. they love all we have done to our place. Even if im driving on side by side watching them pruning and such. they love for me to be out with them looking at everything.

Wishing the best for you, sir!!!!