shooting bags?

trad1

Got a good deal on a pair of Caldwell shooting bags,but they are you fill-em.Whats good to fill them with.I was thinking fish tank gravel.Any good ideas out there?

ky55

Get a bag of poly pellets in the craft section at Wally’s place.

rayjay

Sand blaster abrasive. It's dry when you buy it.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I put lead shot in the small one and vermiculite was recommended for the large one. I liked the lead one over the light weight vermiculite and used it instead to cradle and stabilize my barrel.
Definitely didn’t like the front bag being light. The small bag with lead wasn’t.

bullgator

Kitty litter

munchie3409

I agree with the airsoft pellets...they are light and work well. I personally wouldn't use rice or sand because once you get either of those two items wet...it's not going to be good for your rests.

Jester896

Senior Clown
In my Bulls I used litter in the two large bottoms and sand it the two tops

rears are all poly beads

cmshoot

Poly beads. Bought mine at Michael’s. I’ve got plenty enough if you want some for free. I’m in Dallas (Paulding Co).

rayjay

Heavy is exactly what you want for bags. In Bench Rest competition they fill their bags with heavy sand which is much heavier than the blaster abrasive I recommend for non-competition shooters.

transfixer

Heavy is exactly what you want for bags. In Bench Rest competition they fill their bags with heavy sand which is much heavier than the blaster abrasive I recommend for non-competition shooters.

That's what I had in mind when did it, the little bag isn't bad, but the bigger one is a pain to lug around, I'll probably end up pouring that stuff out and using something lighter.

Oldstick

I agree, bite the bullet (no pun intended) on the weight and use sand or similar. I tried various light weight ideas like kitty litter but it was harder to hold a firm stable zero on the bench for me.

ryanh487

I filled mine with corn cob bedding for birds/small animals. Works great, easy to form, heavy enough to stay put but light enough to bring to the range without hesitation. The ammo makes my range bag nearly bust at the seams as it is, another 10-15 lbs of sand or gravel would likely rip the straps off.

pdsniper

I use the plastic beads as said for my call out bags and general shooting bags, I think they use them for making Beanie Baby's but they work great and do expand if they get wet

rosewood

I bought a bag of the playground sand from Lowes and fill them with that. I also made myself some different size bags using old jeans and a sewing machine.

Rosewood

abrannon

All of my bags are filled with Heavy weight Ceramics beads that are about the size of Rat shot. One of my Bull bags weighs 27 lbs.