Ancestry Dot Com

matt79brown

Anybody tried this spit test DNA thing to find there bloodline? I did. I am a little skeptical of the results. Perhaps some of you DNA/SCIENCE gurus can give me a lil' insight. What ya'll think? These test accurate?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My son did it, and it pretty much confirmed what I've learned by tracing the branches of the family back through traditional genealogy.

rosewood

I wonder if you did 2 different companies if you would get the same results. I also wonder how private they keep your DNA? I would like to do it if I could do it anonymously.

rosewood

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Too many “ifs”. Plus, wouldn’t they need the dna from the ancestor to confirm?

WaltL1

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Your favorite defense tactic :biggrin3:

Gotta have a starting point :biggrin2:

Just saying “if” has too many unknowns.

One important known is the starting point. Just say in 1000 years, how do you trace my family back to me without my DNA?

rosewood

Birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates. That is how it was done before DNA.

WaltL1

Gotta have a starting point :biggrin2:

Just saying “if” has too many unknowns.

One important known is the starting point. Just say in 1000 years, how do you trace my family back to me without my DNA?
Theres a butt load of info about what tests are performed and what the results of those tests mean and what they don't mean. That has to be understood first before you can know what you should be able to expect it to tell you and what it cant.
And theres lots of family histories traced back without anybodys DNA. Birth records, death records, marriage records...….

WaltL1

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Theres a butt load of info about what tests are performed and what the results of those tests mean and what they don't mean. That has to be understood first before you can know what you should be able to expect it to tell you and what it cant.
And theres lots of family histories traced back without anybodys DNA. Birth records, death records, marriage records...….
If those items are available, I would agree. DNA testing wouldn’t really be needed if you have those.

For my Grandmothers Great Great Great Grandmother, I don’t have a birth, marriage or death certificate, nor do I have a DNA from her.......how accurate can one connect me to that lady?

660griz

If those items are available, I would agree. DNA testing wouldn’t really be needed if you have those.

For my Grandmothers Great Great Great Grandmother, I don’t have a birth, marriage or death certificate, nor do I have a DNA from her.......how accurate can one connect me to that lady?
Can't without her DNA. I don't think this is what the DNA mail order test are meant to do. Just tells you what tribe you were from basically.
Get some DNA from Grandmothers Great Great Great Grandmother, and, look out Jerry Springer.

LOL No way in the world am I going to mail someone - anyone - a sample of my DNA, much less pay for the privilege of handing it over.

I knew my dad's parents but not my mother's. I knew my mother's maternal grandparents, but have very little info on her dad's parents, and what I have learned is mostly that without being able to talk to someone who knew them, that is probably all I will ever know.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Can't without her DNA. I don't think this is what the DNA mail order test are meant to do. Just tells you what tribe you were from basically.
Get some DNA from Grandmothers Great Great Great Grandmother, and, look out Jerry Springer.
Yea that’s sort of where I’m going with DNA tracing..........or any tracing without the “knowns”.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates. That is how it was done before DNA.
You do realize that "married to" doesn't always mean "father of?"

transfixer

Evidently its not kept private, once your DNA is stored in a database, it can be accessed by law enforcement or government , they've recently caught a couple of killers using those databases, by comparing crime scene DNA to those of the killer's relatives that were in the database.

matt79brown

Uncle Sam already knows exactly who I am. I have followed the family tree back across the big pond, but thought this would take me waaaaay back. I find this stuff interesting. Wish I understood DNA better. Thanks for all the replies.

rosewood

You do realize that "married to" doesn't always mean "father of?"
Yes, I thought about that but didn't post. Probably a lot of "adopted" kids where they never knew who the real parents were also.

WaltL1

Uncle Sam already knows exactly who I am. I have followed the family tree back across the big pond, but thought this would take me waaaaay back. I find this stuff interesting. Wish I understood DNA better. Thanks for all the replies.
The way I understand it is yes it can take you waaaaay back. BUT NOT waaaay back in the sense of "John Doe is your great great great whatever. That type of information is derived from records/documentation etc.
But it DOES take you waaaaay back in the sense of " my DNA markers trace back to X continent etc".
Its all the information put together (DNA, records etc) that puts together the picture.

ky55