Hot spots

Robert28

I have a yellow lab that gets hot spots real bad every few years. Once in 2013 and this year. The thing is when he gets them, they spread fast. You treat one and by tomorrow he has 3 more places. I’ve had to take him to the vet both times to get them to shave around the areas and they gave me some spray that’s cleared them up in a couple weeks. We can’t figure out why he gets them though, it’s not like it’s a yearly occurrence or anything. I feed him high quality dog food, he comes inside in the AC whenever he wants to, his pen is shaded, he doesn’t have fleas or ticks because he’s on Advantage. I’m thinking of starting him on NuVet to see if that helps. My English bulldog is on it and it’s been great for him. I hadn’t even heard of it until the lady I got the bulldog from told me about it and I’ve used it ever since. Any other ideas or suggestions to prevent hot spots?

Robert, have you ever tried some antibiotics? When they pop on my old black lab I give her some antibiotics shots and it seems to help.

Robert28

The vet prescribed him some antibiotics and some anti-itch medicine along with some spray. Seems to be working as he's back to his old self, just keeping him inside for it to heal up enough. That's the part he hates because he's ready to stay outside and doesn't like going out in spurts to go to the bathroom and come right back in.

Does he have a yeast infection, possibly? His ears or skin? My beagle had a terrible time with his ears and nothing I did seemed to help. He had a pretty bad granuloma on one of his front paws from the constant itching and licking...

7Mag Hunter

I have used Bactine to spray hot spot, if it is not where the dog can lick it off...It has lidocane which has a deadening effect and can sooth the spot...
I also use Sentry Wound Cream for dogs...it is anti-bacterial and kills fungi and viruses....you can get it at some pet stores and walmart...

Hillbilly stalker

It may actually be the dogs allergic to the dog food your using. It mite be the hotter months that make it show. Happy Jack makes some of the best spray for hot spots. Mite switch feeds, all dogs are different. A lot of people switched to grain free.

MCBUCK

I fight them some too. Go to your vet and get the Bio Calm or at Tractor Supply and use the Sulfodene spray. Each dog is different. Be sure to bathe good before using the sprays and you need to at least trim the hair around the hot spot or maybe even shave; hair on the wound irritates. The Bio Logic and Sulfodene both have antiseptics and healing properties that are clean and help progress healing. I noticed some recommended burnt motor oil...not recommended for an animal suffering from a very painful and uncomfortable skin disorder because it can contain foreign materials that can actually increase the chance of infections. Use healing sprays, antibiotics and steroids from your vet will cleanly and effectively heal the hot spots in a couple of days. It’s a very inexpensive and fast way to get some relief for your dog.

Ive used burnt motor oil for years.......helps me out. A lot of times, I think a vet is overpriced and over rated. But, that's my opinion. To each their own. Ive got all kinds of home made remedies for all my animals. (livestock or domestic)

little rascal

High Fiber dog food will cause your dog to itch. Sometimes it's too much fiber not hotspots. Check the fiber on the nutrition label. I live in Cobb county and our water has extremely high PH. It even makes me itch and breaks out my hands, I wash dishes by hand no dishwasher. If you bath your dog often in city water it can make them have extra dry skin.

danielk

Our bull terrier had hot spots and we started feeding him a tablespoon of yoghurt with his food and it worked in about week. Apparently because of the probiotics.

bobocat

Vet gave our golden retriever cortisone shot and they started drying up by the second day and we're completely gone by week and half.

Redbow

I have had 2 Dogs now that had hot spots each time a flea got onto them. Our Vet said it was because our Dogs were allergic to the flea's saliva. The Vet gave my Dogs a shot then some pills to take for a few days it cleared right up. Hydrogen Peroxide will also help my Vet told us to use it when the hot spot first starts before it gets really bad looking...The Peroxide works at times..