beware of this weed!!

baddave

http://www.walterreeves.com/lawn-care/chamberbitter-mimosa-weed/ guys and gals , I'm telling you , if you ever see this stuff starting in your yard or plots , take care of it now .. i've had decent luck w/ 2/4 D amine but it's almost a full time job trying to stay ahead of it .. when it goes to seed it gets b-b-b-ad..glyphoshate will kill it but sometimes you need a selective herbicide .. crap sprouts overnight after you just sprayed right next to it

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
All I can say is good luck with it. I 24D'd mine to death, but it just keeps on coming. I sprayed it in 7 day intervals 3 times. It's still popping up from seed. I shouldn't have skipped the pre-emergent maybe. It's never ending and it's in multiple yards.

baddave

that's all we can do .. spray before it goes to seed and next year maybe double up on preM .. i have some atrazine but my biggest issues are in my veggy gardens .. i read on one website that just remnants of the leaves can sprout .. a dream come true ..nightmares are dreams too

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I have it in on my property. half roundup and half 2-4d gets rid of it for me.

JackSprat

It's taken over a flower bed I have so no herbicide. My afternoon exercise is pulling up a bunch. It's like a solid sheet - no idea where it all came from.

Now it's spreading into the yard.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I think it came out of Florida from pine straw deliveries. Chinese invasive probably.

JackSprat

Isoxaben can be used in flowerbeds to control it from a preemergence stand point.

Yes but you can't go behind it with flowers from seed. I have a nice stand of volunteer zinnias that have been going for several years, and I'm interested in seeing where they go.

bilgerat

Senior
I noticed it in My lawn just the other day. it a small spot so I hope I can nip it in the bud before it spreads.

Forest Grump

So use Roundup, kill the chamberbitter, don’t treat your flowers. Or use a pre, & buy plants at the nursery instead of from seed.

But once you get chamberbitter, it will plague you forever. It adapts to mowing, growing short & still making seed. As soon as you recognize the plant, it is already making seed.

One need not be concerned with it in a food plot; it is a poor competitor by comparison, but in a lawn or a flowerbed, it is a pain for sure.

Jack Ryan

Mix your round up and paint it on them with a brush.

They also sell round up in a gel you can roll on like a deodorant application. I never had much luck with that though. Total pain.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You tube PVC herbicide applicator. Best thing for small spot weed killing.

95g atl

hmmmm I have several of those weeds around my mailbox. Darn it.
I have to pull them out asap.
Thx for sharing.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Get some in my wifes flowerbed every year, and every year I pull it up a little at a time.

Wood999

Good Luck. Every year mine gets worse. I can kill it, but it would be at the expense of killing all of my grass. In my Fescue back yard, it dominates. Front, Bermuda, Zoysia, Centipeed, I am letting the grass grow longer than normal, hoping it gets choked out. Not as bad in the spreading grasses.

Wood999

Knowing what I know now, and if confined to just a flower bed, the flower bed would be expendable, and I would Nuke the flower bed, flowers an all.

baddave

i never saw this junk till last year .. in the lawn doesn't bother me as much as everywhere else gardens, plots , walking paths.. 2 4 D amine kills it real good in the lawn, you just have to spot spray it everyday for a while

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Any thing I want to get rid of, I just point it out to the ol lady and tell her to make it grow...woman has the "brownest" thumb on the planet. She kills everything green she "tries" to grow.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Chamberbitter (Mimosa Weed)

So that's what that cra er I mean stuff is called. I kill it back every year and the next year it comes right back again. I do the same as everybody else - gly and 2-4-d.