Pine Tree Questions

coyotebgone

Not very experienced with pine trees. What spray can be used to knock back underbrush in my planted pines. Also, are these some sort of eggs or sap, on a few trees, not many.

Attachments

• IMG_1835[1].jpg
    IMG_1835[1].jpg
    302 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1838[1].jpg
    IMG_1838[1].jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 76

Dirtroad Johnson

Sap - turpentine. Don't know about spraying under brush with pines that size. I believe it would be more economical & beneficial to prescribe burn with those size trees. Your local forestry will offer you valuable info as well as great services. You'll be amazed at what they can do with their equipment in a short mount of time. Big bang for the buck. Someone may have other suggestions but this is all I have experience with. Good luck.

Dbender

You can use many different types of chemicals to clean up the underbrush. You really need to determine the dominant species you are trying to control though to make a better decision. Application will be costly depending on area size though.

2nd pic is technically sap, but it looks like pitch tubes do to beetle damage. A clearer picture and location on trunk height will help narrow down the culprit. Is this a yard area or natural woods?

Fire is a good tool but there are many variables to consider when burning. Some of these variables cannot be taught in a book or online, it only comes with experience. Unfortunately, due to changes in public perception, forestry practices, time constraints etc, many gfc foresters do not have enough experience .

coyotebgone

This is a 40 acre plot of planted pines on my hunting land. The sap location is all down around the bottom of the trunk on 2 or 3 trees. Close by there are three trees that got hit by lightning. didn't know if this may be caused by the lightning

Dbender

I sent you some type of private conversation? I assume it is like the old private messages, not sure if you got it though.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
If it’s pine beetles then the tree needles will quickly turn brown and the entire tree is dead in a few weeks. You’ll see fine sawdust around the base. Then the beetles move to the next live tree over.

The sap shown appears to be Black Turpentine beetle which only attacks the base of the tree to about 10-12' high. They can be killed by Bifen. Saturate the bark thoroughly all around the tree. Take note of wind direction and wear appropriate safety gear. If it is one of the species of Ipps beetles, remove the trees. There is no way to save the tree from Ipps as they will attack all the way to the top of the tree. 40 acres is a lot of ground to cover spraying. Contact your local county Forestry Commission office and request help with prescribed burns. The result of prescribed burns, properly conducted, will lead to a healthier forest and better wildlife habitat. The Forestry Commission personel will also help you identify the beetle species and recommend a solution.

Latest posts