Where to get rid of older TV's?

DannyW

Need to get rid of a couple older TV's. They still work fine but are not HD flat screens. I am just looking for someplace to responsibly get rid of them (meaning I will not take them to a dirt road somewhere and make them someone else's problem).

I spent some time googling this morning...Goodwill only takes "flat screen TV's". Salvation Army only takes TV's "less than 5 years old". From what I gather neither AKF or AKS will accept older TV's either. Best Buy will accept older TV for recycling as long as you buy a new TV from them, and pay a $15 recycling fee. I checked a couple recycling centers in my Lawrenceville area and they don't accept TV's, even for a fee.

I tried calling a landfill but the person I spoke with did not seem to know if they accept TV's, and what it would cost if they did.

My problem can't be unique...there must be a gazillion older TV's out there that are no longer being used. What do you do with them?

DannyW

Never mind...I never even considered my garbage pick-up service provider. I called them, was told they take TV's smaller than 32", and they will be by tomorrow to pick them up. For free.

Hope this information helps someone else.

ryanh487

I just put a 48" projection screen TV on my curb on Sunday. I will be surprised if it's still there when i get home tonight, whether it's taken by the trash guys or a neighbor. Old grill already dissappeared and so did the stand from the TV.

DannyW

Yeah, we have a 5:00 AM garbage hauler too. I considered going that route but he has proven to be undependable both in his schedule, and what he picks up. :LOL: But he has woke me up several times wrestling old appliances, exercise equipment and other various pieces of junk off my curb in the wee hours.

Guess he makes a little money off the metal value.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
In Athens we have what is called the CHaRM (Center for Hard to Recycle Materials) facility. It is run through the Co Recycling Program and takes all "Hazardous" material. They do charge for some things, TV's included, go ahead ask me how I know, but will take it. Betting most counties have something similar.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Can dump your tv for regular $45 ton rate at Walton County recycling center in Monroe. Did two in recent weeks.

NOYDB

BANNED
Or......

for those in need.

Take them apart, put in trash bags and place in regular trash. Your trash hauler doesn't know or care what's in the bags going in the truck. No one does.

westcobbdog

Or......

for those in need.

Take them apart, put in trash bags and place in regular trash. Your trash hauler doesn't know or care what's in the bags going in the truck. No one does.
Agree sorta like Shawshank where he spread his cell wall around in the yard.

ryanh487

Or......

for those in need.

Be very careful. CRT tubes store electricity even when unplugged and also contain lead and are coated in a toxic phosphorous powder. They are not safe to handle.

95g atl

I know up here in N Gwinnet, Richland creek dump will charge you a minimum of $92 for a trailer load of things. Oh, they also charge an ADDITIONAL $50 per mattress, couch, or any other bulky household item.

No wonder why PPL dump things on the side of the road or the woods around these parts.

Now white county charged me a $2 minimum to dump a half trailer load of light weight material. Unbelievable the difference.

Jack Ryan

I been carrying around a junk TV for two freaking weeks in the back of my truck looking for some place who will take it. Recycling NO, dump NO, land fill NO NO NO NO

NOYDB

BANNED
Be very careful. CRT tubes store electricity even when unplugged and also contain lead and are coated in a toxic phosphorous powder. They are not safe to handle.

The capacitors in a CRT are not enough to worry about. Don't huff the gas in the CRT and don't lick the parts. Take it apart, put it in a trash bag or a lawn bag, and throw it away. Or donate it after hours to your county commissioner.

Artfuldodger

I just put a 48" projection screen TV on my curb on Sunday. I will be surprised if it's still there when i get home tonight, whether it's taken by the trash guys or a neighbor. Old grill already dissappeared and so did the stand from the TV.

I'm amazed at what people will pick up off the curb. Just put a "Free" sign on it at it'll be gone in no time.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Our local donation center won't take old TV's. Unfortunately I have to dump them in the trash. Hard to do when you know it still works good.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Or......

for those in need.

True. I had a recliner that left the house that way. It's amazing how small they can get when they are broken down in to their basic parts.