trimming dogs claws/nails

hipster dufus

how do u do it? how do u keep em calm? do they really need it done? help!!!

NOYDB

BANNED
Any pet outlet will have nail clippers. A dog that you have socialized will be easy. Keep in mind they do not all have to be done at the same time. Do a paw at a time and make it a play session.

Mexican Squealer

Unless the dog's nails are white, you can easily get into the quick and cause them a great deal of pain. You will know it when you do it.

Capt Quirk

There is a tool called PediPaw, pretty much a Dremel with a grinding barrel on it. Supposedly, it is less frightening to the dogs. My dogs, however, treat this thing like it was a Rattler.

JackSprat

There is a tool called PediPaw, pretty much a Dremel with a grinding barrel on it. Supposedly, it is less frightening to the dogs. My dogs, however, treat this thing like it was a Rattler.

I've got one of those, only sort of used one time on a 100 lb. Weirmaraner that hated having his nail trimmed at all.

Back to OP, their nails need to be trimmed, especially if you have a "pacer" - clieck click click all night long. I can do it with the gullitine type on just the tips, but for a real trim, we take them to the vet. If you get into the quick you may end up there anyway. usually add in to some other service.

rayjay

The rotary tool is the way to go. Do it often so you don't have to take off much. Also, by doing it often and not taking off too much you don't get the nail hot.

DannyW

I use a Dremmel when I do it. I used to clip the nails but always managed to cut off too much leaving them with a sore paw, plus clipping leaves a sharp edge on the nail.

Even with the Dremmel I hate doing it. And my dogs like it even less. We usually end up all snarly and mad at each other. So now I just walk my dogs a few miles each week on the pavement...it keeps their nails in check, and it don't hurt me none to get the exercise.

Win-win.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use the guillotine type. Takes me and my wife both, one holds him while the other one clips. He's much better about it than he was a couple years ago. Just don't go into the quick. It's easy to do if your dog has black nails like mine does. I don't think mine would tolerate a Dremel.

sinclair1

We walk the dachshund for all but the dew claw and my wife cuts those. No way a dremal is getting near the dog, he already eats vacuums.

Capt Quirk

I use the guillotine type. Takes me and my wife both, one holds him while the other one clips. He's much better about it than he was a couple years ago. Just don't go into the quick. It's easy to do if your dog has black nails like mine does. I don't think mine would tolerate a Dremel.
I was using one of those several years ago, and it really mangled my dog's claw bad. She wouldn't let anybody near her paws after that.

specialk

my mom has a Chihuahua they have to sedate at the vet to cut the nails....I do mine....it's hard....I get the quick sometimes, no big deal.....I keep clot powder handy.....

Jack Ryan

how do u do it? how do u keep em calm? do they really need it done? help!!!

If you hear them clicking as they walk across a hard surface they COULD use trimming. If they are pretty much running loose outside, they probably never need trimmed. If they are penned and especially if it is a soft surface like dirt, then you probably need to trim them once in a while.

The down side if they get too long then it makes their toes sore and that makes their feet deformed and they start walking back on their heels further and further. It can do permanent damage. It is obvious in a wet paw print as they walk across concrete if that is happening. If not and you just hear them clicking then just trim them a little at a time.

If you don't have one, get a cordless dremel and use the sanding drum is BY FAR the easiest and best way. Especially if they have black nails. With the guillotine cutters and a new guy just learning to trim them, it is easy to cut too much and make them bleed and it hurts. If it hurts, it is just going to be harder to get them to stand for it next time.

I've had dogs that would just roll over and let you trim and dogs that don't like it at all. All the hard ones to do was back before I discovered using the dremel.

The dog I have now was a full time, out door, hunting dog for 10 years before I got him. He never had his nails trimmed in his life. But having a dog years ago who live in a kennel and his nails got long and I never even noticed, I keep a close watch on them now. I've seen what can happen.

Duke is a piece of cake to trim his nails, I can do all 4 feet in about two minutes most of the time. He don't like to be rolled over so I just do them with him standing up for the two front ones and sit him down for the back ones.

To get him used to the buzzing noise was the hardest thing and that only took a couple days. I sat on the top step of the porch steps where he likes to sit, and held a hot dog from the fridge in my hand. He is crazy about 'em. Then I turned the demel on and set it between my feet on the steps and let him like my fist trying to get out that hot dog. Then I'd pick up the dremel and rub the handle end of it on his back while it was running and set it back down and give him a little bite of hot dog. Then play around with him on the step which is his fav spot all while the dremel was whirring away. After about half the hot dog was gone I'd hold his front foot in one hand and let him lick the hot dog hand, then set it down and rub his foot with the whirring handle end of the dremel.

Finally just ended up the first day just touching a few nails on his front two feet with the running sanding disk, not really accomplishing anything but getting him used to the machine, being touched by it and having his feet handled.

In just a couple days I was starting to trim back his long curved nails. Now I do it a little

2 or 3 times a week, it's no big deal.

A plus if you have a digging problem is you can severely curtail digging by keeping their nails short. The nerve and blood vessel in the nail will recede gradually as you trim them shorter every 4-5 days.

The less you take off and the more often you do it, the easier the whole thing is. I just store the dremel for that out on a shelf on the porch and sit down and do it at least once a week. One charge will last so long I don't even know how long it lasts just trimming one dogs nails.

Like anything else with dogs, if YOU make it fun, it will be fun. If you make it a job you don't want to do then they don't want to do it either. Take your time. First go arounds on it may take you a half an hour and you don't get anything accomplished. Next to you'll get nothing accomplished in only 15 minutes.

In a week or two you'll get it all done, have all four trimmed, in a couple of minutes and wonder why you ever though it was a "job".

Last edited:

ryanh487

Petsmart does it for $14, as long as the dog is current on it's shots. Worth every penny. When I had a 10 lb dog I did it myself. With a 65 lb spaz it's not worth my trouble.

gunnurse

A small set of side cutters works for my chiweenie.

Twiggbuster

Trimmed my late beagle- always a pain
Wick different length on each toe and I drew blood several times.
Now I have a Yorkie-$10 today at local pet shop
Well worth it ,, trimmed and filed

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I use a dremmel between visits to the groomer.
It works the best of anything I’ve tried.