Terrestrials

whitetailfreak

I've got to admit, I'm mostly a dry and nymph slinger. With the exception of a green weenie dropper at times, I never fish terrestrials such as hoppers, beetles, crickets, ants etc. 95% of my fishing is beneath big timber on wild trout streams. So, am I missing out? What say you?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve mopped up with hoppers before.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I have hoppers in several different patterns that I like to catch trout on.

I've never been big on beetles, simply because the beetle patterns I've tried have been very hard for me to see on the water.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen wild browns come up like a torpedo and clear the water hitting a hopper fly.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
One of my favorite small stream flies for the SE is the Letort Hopper in #14. That and the Letort Cricket. I kept them simple without an over wing other than the untrimmed natural deer hair from spinning the head. and just used a synthetic spun body (yellow for the hopper and black deer hair and body for the cricket) with muddler-type head and wing of spun deer hair extending to just past the bend. At one time Japanese beetles swarmed the trees in the lower 'Hootch and would fill up the browns. I tied a wet version with a built up black wool body , a black hackle collar for legs and an shell case of peacock herl which approached the color of the beetle. The herl didn't stand up to many fish. Out west, a black ant or pine beetle (#18 for both) could break through a hatch and hook up some large rainbows on the Railroad Ranch back in the day. The beetle was tied with natural elk and the body was formed like a Humpy without the hackle or tail. Gil

Caddisfly01

Hoppers and Ant patterns can produce some amazing fishing, especially in the summer, and when drifted close to the bank under overhanging trees..And on slightly windy, or rainy days - WOW..Definitely have some in your box.

flyrod444

I use Jack Cabe hopper a lot and if one can't see this fly on the water they need a new pair of glasses. It works great with a dropper off of it. I have caught a few big trout on this pattern stripping in like a streamer during heavy rain.

TheTroutWhisperer

Urgh... you guys are making me want to go fishing.. maybe this weekend. Hoppers are good but don't discount using a cinnamon flying ant. I love using those things.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
A big rubber legged stimulator makes a pretty good hopper imitation.