Radar

Rabun

Hi Guy's, any of y'all run radar on your boats primarily to see weather issues? Wondering how well it works picking up storms. After spending a week in FL dodging thunderstorms offshore, I'm considering getting one.

Limitless

I haven't put it on my new boat yet, but seriously considering it. Have fished on a buddy's boat with Simrad 4G and I was very impressed. Not only did it clearly show the thunder boomers and rain, but when it was clear of storms it really helped by showing birds to run to for dolphin and tuna. For me to add 4G and another 12" screen is about $4000 - $4500, so I got some saving to do.

trubluau

I run it on my boat. The new 4G is really nice for picking up other boats and tracking rain. I am constantly checking mine when I can see rain coming. It will tell you how far out it is and how fast its moving. I can then normally move to another number away from the rain. Having radar is like having autopilot. If you don't have it then it's ok but if you ever get it then you won't get a boat without it.

Rabun

Thanks guy's! Exactly the kind of information I was looking for. I already have a simrad 12" display and was looking at the 4G for another $2k. I priced out Sirius, but $750+ for the hardware and then at least $30/month for subscription fee. Now you get alot more info with Sirius, but my need is really just weather related so glad to hear radar works well for that application.

Appreciate your help!

PeterCO

Recently my brother was looking for a radar for his boat. He told me that he had reviewed a lot of information. He decided to buy here as a big choice and his friend already bought repeatedly

Limitless

Rabun: Checkout the site below for a radar package. I was looking at a Simrad NSS Evo 3 12" with 4G radar and they had it for the standard $4999. I went on their "chat" function and questioned their "having everything on sale" policy and they came back and offered it to me for $4600. Apparently negotiation can work there.

https://www.mygreenoutdoors.com/simrad-4/