sawtooth oaks

oochee hunter

When do sawtooth oaks start producing acorns? I have 40 on my farm and so far not a one. May be early as I have not really paid attention over the years. I'm in middle ga.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
If they are going to bear this year, they should have them now. Mine are loaded this year

SRShunter

I have ten sawtooths that I bought from chestnut hills about 4 years ago. So I'm guessing they're around 6yrs old. Haven't had one acorn yet? they're very healthy looking trees and I'm hoping next year for some acorns. Seems like they have put on more girth than height, but a couple are probably 15'+. What makes me so mad is I saw lil live oaks last night at the fireworks that were loaded with acorns. Should have went native I reckon

bilgerat

Senior
Ive got one that's 8 years old and it hasen't produced yet. It has small acorns on it now but they aren't developing , Just staying small lil knots. maybe next year

southernman13

I have several that I planted 2/14. This year quite a few had little acorns on the limbs. Looked like was going to be first crop although not loaded. I went back a week or so to check and they’re all gone. Maybe just not mature enough to develop. Idk

Buckfever

I've got 1 that produced at 3 years old, 1 at 4 years old, several that took 6 to 7 years to produce. Have a couple that have only produced a couple acorns in 10 years, but they are the only ones in there area. I've been told and read that they may not make good if there's not another pollinator tree close, but I'm working on that. The ones in my yard are loaded this year.

SRShunter

That's awesome 3yrs old and having acorns. Do you fertilize them? I do mine every spring with a slow release, but I just put it above ground and believe the weeds get most. I do mow around them but no weed mats. Think next spring I'm gonna bury the fertilizer around the drip line and foot or so

Buckfever

Yes, I try to fertilize every year. I was surprised by the tree having acorns at year 3, but it was twice as big as the 2 close to it. A good friend referred to it as a super tree.

SRShunter

Heck yeah, funny how some just grow and do better than others...even though they're in the same field

spencer12

Yes, I try to fertilize every year. I was surprised by the tree having acorns at year 3, but it was twice as big as the 2 close to it. A good friend referred to it as a super tree.

Take the acorns from this tree and plant them. Then when that batch produces do the same thing. Should be able to get a good line of trees going.

oochee hunter

Just to be clear, these trees produce tons of acorns each year. There are a few that do not produce very good but this year I have zero acorns on my trees that are scattered across my farm. Absolutely zero acorns on any tree so I am stumped! Maybe the heavy rains were the culprit.

Deer Fanatic

Last year a late frost knocked all mine off. Did yall get a late frost up your way? That may be the culprit

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I raise mine from acorns. I place them in refrigerator till they start sprouting. Takes about five months for them to get to that point. I read that the acorns need that much cold to germinate although I have tried it without the cold and the acorns would have more rotting and worm problems. Once I plant acorns in pots I have trees ready to transplant In two months. My trees start producing in four years on average. It’s easy to start and grow sawtooths.

Forest Grump

Sawtooth oaks are in the Red Oak group, taking approximately 18 months to produce acorns. So those with little bumps...next year. They usually begin producing in 5-10 years. Tree tubes definitely work; they can in fact, produce explosive growth & weak trunk strength.

Fertilization has not been shown experimentally to increase crown size or productivity of oak trees. Reduced competition, including grass in the drip line, removal of canopy competitors, & weather at pollination are the primary influences on acorn production. Ca to fix pH & P for root growth are all you need, really.

It is very important to prune sawtooth oaks in the first several years of their growth, removing 1/3 to 2/3 of their lower branches. If you “plant & forget” you will return in 5 years to find a beautiful bush. It is a tree that in open environments wants to be a shrub; you want to encourage it to be a tree.

Wood tends to split & is not highly valued for lumber, & there is concern over it becoming an invasive. Acorns are bitter, but because they bear earlier than most native oaks they can be a significant draw.

SRShunter

Sawtooth oaks are in the Red Oak group, taking approximately 18 months to produce acorns. So those with little bumps...next year. They usually begin producing in 5-10 years. Tree tubes definitely work; they can in fact, produce explosive growth & weak trunk strength.

Fertilization has not been shown experimentally to increase crown size or productivity of oak trees. Reduced competition, including grass in the drip line, removal of canopy competitors, & weather at pollination are the primary influences on acorn production. Ca to fix pH & P for root growth are all you need, really.

It is very important to prune sawtooth oaks in the first several years of their growth, removing 1/3 to 2/3 of their lower branches. If you “plant & forget” you will return in 5 years to find a beautiful bush. It is a tree that in open environments wants to be a shrub; you want to encourage it to be a tree.

Wood tends to split & is not highly valued for lumber, & there is concern over it becoming an invasive. Acorns are bitter, but because they bear earlier than most native oaks they can be a significant draw.
Thanks for the info

huntall

I had some that produced at 3 and I fertilized with tree spikes after a yr old

huntall

Fertilize made for extra dark green leaves and a lot better growth along with earlier producing trees. Most between 3 to 5 yrs

Deer Fanatic

very good info here. especially the part about pruning.