sawtooth oaks

marcel ledbetter

I hunt a farm in meriwether co. that has close to 100 of these trees planted around the hayfields.They don't have a bumper crop every year ,but when their loaded it's nothing to see 20-30 deer an evening under these trees in September.

spencer12

Sawtooth oaks are in the Red Oak group, taking approximately 18 months to produce acorns. So those with little bumps...next year. They usually begin producing in 5-10 years. Tree tubes definitely work; they can in fact, produce explosive growth & weak trunk strength.

Fertilization has not been shown experimentally to increase crown size or productivity of oak trees. Reduced competition, including grass in the drip line, removal of canopy competitors, & weather at pollination are the primary influences on acorn production. Ca to fix pH & P for root growth are all you need, really.

It is very important to prune sawtooth oaks in the first several years of their growth, removing 1/3 to 2/3 of their lower branches. If you “plant & forget” you will return in 5 years to find a beautiful bush. It is a tree that in open environments wants to be a shrub; you want to encourage it to be a tree.

Wood tends to split & is not highly valued for lumber, & there is concern over it becoming an invasive. Acorns are bitter, but because they bear earlier than most native oaks they can be a significant draw.

It was my understanding that they are not technically a red oak or a white oak but share traits of both trees. Good info.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I have several planted at different times with the oldest being 7-8 yrs old that were loaded last year and I’ve seen very few acorns this year, and I to think it’s from a late frost we had in our area !

SRShunter

I hope mine do something next year. My keifer pears had one last year none this year. All my trees are young 5 or 6 yrs old. Last frost have been a hit the last two springs?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I have 14 planted, they came from different areas, half are from the Wildlife Group, a quarter from Albany Ga acorns and the other quarter from acorns gathered in Dooly county. All are between 6-8 years old. The shortest tree is 10 feet tall with the tallest being over 20 feet, none have produced acorns yet. They are well shaped and pampered. Maybe next year.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Mine didn't start producing until 8-9 years after planting.They came from the Ga forestry Commission..

SRShunter

Can't wait till mine produce hopefully next year, but I did have a scrape under one of my sawtooths last year?

SRShunter

Guess the bottom line with trees is patience!!! A foodplot is instant gratification, but in the long run the big picture when the trees finally start to bear mast it will be so gratifying to us and the deer. Whoever plants trees will always be remembered!!! Hey my daddy planted those trees or my granddaddy planted those trees. I'm very proud to have planted the trees I have and when they start bearing I will sit back and smile and count the deer and laugh at the people who made fun of me for planting them. Good luck to all of those tree planters out there this year and not so much to the tree huggers...lol hope everyone has a very successful hunting season this year!!!

The only Sawtooth Oak I ever saw was planted in someone's yard. I have several Burr oaks (I think) that produce the largest nuts that I have ever seen in the wild. Literally big as a golf ball. Deer love them. These are a member of the white oak family.

s&r

Tarpenter

I have approx. 135 Sawtooths on my place. Last year about half were absolutely loaded. and yes, the deer love them. This year different story. Very few acorns, and the tree's that do have a few are very small. Had a old timer tell me its because of the wet, rainy month of May we had in this area. Washed all the pollination off the tree's. I spend a lot of time & energy trying to take care of these tree's cause when they do produce, archery season can be phenomenal.

oochee hunter

I have approx. 135 Sawtooths on my place. Last year about half were absolutely loaded. and yes, the deer love them. This year different story. Very few acorns, and the tree's that do have a few are very small. Had a old timer tell me its because of the wet, rainy month of May we had in this area. Washed all the pollination off the tree's. I spend a lot of time & energy trying to take care of these tree's cause when they do produce, archery season can be phenomenal.
I think you have solved the problem. We had an awfull lot of rain as well , so if the old timer is correct that would explain the lack of acorns this year. Thanks

SRShunter

I have the right of mind to cut down my sawtooth oaks by 2020 if they don't produce acorns due to false advertisement:oops:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have the right of mind to cut down my sawtooth oaks by 2020 if they don't produce acorns due to false advertisement:oops:
Might want to do a gender test on those trees. Maybe you got a batch of female oaks.;);):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SRShunter

Mine are in the wide open in a old field so they get plenty of sunlight. They do have some weed competition around them though. I do mow around them, but I guess I need to kill all the weeds ? Via chemicals or a lot of mulch