Pelican Catch 100 First Kayak

weagle

I paid $649 for mine, but they were brand new on the market a few months ago and hard to find. Once I decided what I wanted, I was too impatient to shop around. I've seen people on the Pelican forums reporting sale prices around $500.

Sweetwater

Loving the fish and loving that old school cardinal. I have an old mitchell 300 myself.
Thanks for sharing.

weagle

The river was up and muddy, so time to head back in the creeks and fish for bass. Both of these bass hit 5" Senko worms. Watch the "fly-by" at the end. Ha Ha. I over estimated the size of that bass and he nearly took me out :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RamblinWreck

You almost had sashimi for lunch!

weagle

Went back out to Hollis Lathem today. I was fishing the middle of the day (noon-4) but the bass were hitting pretty good. Got some video of a few before my battery died.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

weagle

After bass fishing for the last few weeks, I was back out on the Hooch today. In spite of the party float armada the fishing was pretty good.

ht2.jpg

ht1.jpg

weagle

Caught a bunch of stockers an some nice Browns on Monday at Jones Bridge. Water was really running fast, but I can paddle the little 10ft Pelican up to the base of the shoals at Jones bridge pretty easily.

bt3.jpg
bt2.jpg
bt1.jpg

jocko755

Can't help but notice your vintage reel. Old green and white ABU Cardinal. Very cool. I had one when I was a kid along with my Mitchell 300.

Man you are having a blast in your kayak. Way to go.

weagle

I've had that old Cardinal 3 since the mid 70's. It's caught literally thousands of fish. Thanks to the internet you can buy bail springs to keep them running. I've got several of every size up to the Cardinal 7.

I kick myself every time I realize I should have bought a fishing kayak 4 or 5 years ago when I first started to get interested in them. I'm 100% happy with the Pelican. I would recommend the Catch series to anyone looking for a fishing kayak.

CDW

You need to take that pelican up to Hickory Log creek reservoir in canton. It’s a Great Lake for a kayak.

weagle

You need to take that pelican up to Hickory Log creek reservoir in canton. It’s a Great Lake for a kayak.
I've heard about Hickory Log Creek, but haven't had the chance to go there yet. That's one of the awesome things about Kayak fishing: It will take me years to fish all the waters within 2 hours drive time.

weagle

Hit the Hooch today for a couple hours down near Azalea looking for some bream.

3OnJoMT.png

WiDJtVq.png

atK5pJh.png

RamblinWreck

I've been trying to snipe a Cardinal 3 off ebay like yours for weeks. I had one back in the day but it got lost. They go for $80-$120 lately and I was bidding too low. Need a great UL reel for my dock shootin'/trout/bream rod.

The JDM Daiwas are KILLER. Way better than Shimano IMO. Kinda high unless you look hard. Got one on the way from ol' JP.
(y)

weagle

Back to Morgan Falls on Sunday. I have no trouble paddling upstream to the gates in the Pelican Catch 100. After my first season of fishing I can honestly say I don't think I could have picked a better Kayak for my local fishing opportunities. Absolutely stable, fast enough, easy to maneuver, and the light weight and small size makes it a breeze to load and unload and to tote in one hand down uneven, rocky banks to drop in the water. It's been over a lot of rocks and the hull shows only superficial scratches. The seat is comfortable, but I think I'm going to raise it 2" to make it even more better :) I'm 6'2" 225lbs and it has plenty of room and weight capacity.

Couldn't get the stripers to bite in the tailrace, but I did manage some shoal bass in the floodgate pond.

morgan falls 2.jpg

morgan falls 1.jpg

morgan falls 3.jpg

morgan falls 4.jpg

morgan falls 6.jpg

jocko755

Didn't get to see the bass in the video close up, but it and the pics above ALL look like largemouth to me. But I'm no expert. Theres alot of cross breeding too. Was the water falling while your were there? It gets really shallow! I like that area. Always reliable.

almoore

Weagle,

Thank you for your posts. I just bought a 10 foot Pelican Catch from Academy in large part because of your enthusiam. I have it parked on the bank of a neighborhood 4 acre pond. My inital reaction is that I really like the boat. At 10 feet and 55 pounds, it was easy for an old foot like me to load and drag it the few hundred yards to the pond. I am having a little buyer's remorse now that the boat is at the pond that maybe I should have gotten the 12 foot model (20 lbs heavier and $100 more expensive) to have more room in front of me for gear. I'm glad for the 10 footer though when I pull it up the bank and will really appreciate it if I want to throw it back on the car and fish with it at another location. The seat is very comfortable and the boat is very stable. Perfect for a pond. Probably would want something more responsive if my primary use was a river or a bigger body of water.