War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Who was the reb aimed at and hit by a 3 inch solid shot from from Yank artillery a half mile away

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That would be Bishop Polk. He was initially interred in Augusta.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Another Southern fellow was killed over around Atlanta about a month later and buried in Augusta on the hill at Augusta State University. He had an unusual nick name. What was it?

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Another Southern fellow was killed over around Atlanta about a month later and buried in Augusta on the hill at Aususta State University. He had an unusual nick name. What was it?

I wasn’t familiar with this guy Jim. I had to google to get the answer. He was from over in your neck of the woods.

Maybe someone else knows without google.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
He is one of the four generals on the Monument to the war dead on Broad Street in Augusta.

Off topic sort of, but interesting:
The generals are towered over by the carving of one ordinary soldier at the top of the spire which was carved in the likeness a local South Carolina fellow. As a young man he went to the gold fields in California but returned home. During the War he was captured and swam to safety from Point Lookout POW camp. Was later captured again and escaped from the Elmira POW camp getting back to his regiment. When Lee decided to surrender at Appomattox CH, this fellow decided not to, so he walked home with his rifle. He is buried in N. Augusta.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Like many, he fought with distinction in the Seminole and Mexican conflicts. In those conflicts he received many wounds. He was a Commandant of Cadets at the US Military Academy.

The second sentence above is a direct hint to his nickname.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That is his name, W.H.T. Walker of Augusta, GA, but the question was what was his nickname.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
More research will be required. His nickname has to do with the number of wounds the fellow suffered in service.

Besides "Fighting" belonged to Fighting Joe Hooker who, in spite of the reputation, could be enticed into a fight only with great difficulty when he commanded the army in the Wilderness of Virginia.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Probably drug this out long enough. General Walker was nick named shot pouch because of all of his prior wounds.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I guess it is still my turn.

Who is said to have fired the first shot at Ft Sumpter and what was the target of the last shot he ever fired?

BassRaider

Lt Henry Farley fired a 10" round over the fort from Fort Johnson. The last shot knocked the flagpole down. Not sure if Farley fired that shot.
Many credit the first shot to Edmund Ruffin.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Ruffin is the fellow I had in mind. The target of Mr. Ruffin's final shot was his own head.

westcobbdog

Ruffin is who I have have read fired the first shot but with literally thousands of bloodthirsty Rebs facing off around the harbor vs Fort Sumter who knows for sure? Even the politician Chestnut tried to negotiate with the yanks without the Commanding Generals consent. Must have been a wild scene.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
It must have been.

Along the same lines, some credit another batch of young folks in SC with firing the first shots of the War. The shots were definitely fired. The argument as to whether they were the first of the War is a technical one.

Who fired them and what was fired at?

westcobbdog

Guessing some SC militia fired on a Federal garrison or troops.

Hers another to ponder:

This CSA General from Ga was one of 4 total General Officers in the US Army in 1860.
Prior to that year he had fought in the War of 1812 and later vs the Mexicans.
His Dad was also a General and Revolutionary War hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.