Annual foodplots

SRShunter

Best annuals to feed deer close to year round with one planting? Or do you really need to go with a perennial for best year round plot .... like a white clover? Really just want something to cover fall and spring because the farmers around us cover spring and summer. What's yalls go to fall mix that attracts the most deer?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Winter wheat and crimson clover will do what you are stating for an annual plot.Best would be perennial mixture with Medium red,duranna,patriot,alcye,as a start.

SRShunter

I've already purchased 3 bags of oats plus from whitetail institute. Would be be okay to mix in some winter wheat and crimson clover in the mix?

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You can plant the oats in place of the winter wheat. Only issue with oats is they are not a cold hardy as winter wheat. You can also plant both together. Plant those first drag or cultipack then plant the clovers then cultipack again.You don't want to overplant in the sq footage you ave.

shdw633

I've already purchased 3 bags of oats plus from whitetail institute. Would be be okay to mix in some winter wheat and crimson clover in the mix?

Are you leasing the land or do you own it. If you own it I would go with what Crakajak stated. If you lease it then I would go with oat's, wheat, abruzzi rye, crimson clover and Penningtons Leafy Greens (three different brassica's in there mix) or just rape if you prefer (less money per pound), some also like winter peas in their fall mixes. If you want to put something in there that would grow into the spring and early summer then add some Arrowleaf clover. You can add all or just some of those into your blend or just buy some bags of Pennington Rackmaster (most likely cheaper for you in the long run) and add some Arrowleaf clover to it.

SRShunter

Thanks for the replies and we own the land. We probably have about 4 plots that total 3acres all together. Probably need to make room for more plots, but that will come in time. Never really knew how much draw power foodplots have, but man they do!

BCPbuckhunter

I would say plant some crimson clover, medium red clover and arrowleaf clover along with chicory for one planting that will feed from spring through summer.

shdw633

Plant you some Buck Forage Oats and Crimson Clover. Forget about the wheat and rye. Order them early, they sell out quick.

I've never had any success with BFO. I know there are those that swear by it on this board but I have tried it on numerous occasions and it has failed me each and every time.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
So do the deer really utilize the crimson clover?
Yes. and the turkeys will in the spring.If you leave it to go to seed next summer it will reseed some of itself as long as you don't till it in the ground.

Jim Boyd

Oats and crimson clover.

They love it.

DCC018D1-A021-47D1-BBB8-B4307469800A.jpeg

Jim Boyd

Sometimes you might be tempted to think your plots did not grow well - it is just that they ate it all!

In the winter, it is cut down to 1/4” tall or so.

If nothing, they are industrious critters!