Heres another good wild dog topic

someguyintraffic

Of all wild canid species and the most widely spread canid on earth foxes are not pack animals.

Of all canids that exist and live in pack structures foxes are the sole solitary dogs except during breeding periods.

My favorite wild dog too. Real characters. Smartest of them all too.

Attachments

• main-qimg-8e69aa2e4f485dd7376873152a30e58a.jpg
    main-qimg-8e69aa2e4f485dd7376873152a30e58a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 4

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Of all wild canid species and the most widely spread canid on earth foxes are not pack animals.

Of all canids that exist and live in pack structures foxes are the sole solitary dogs except during breeding periods.

My favorite wild dog too. Real characters. Smartest of them all too.
I like foxes, both red and gray. I love to watch them.

someguyintraffic

They're a nervous bunch though...…….

Was banging around in the trailer hanging freshly strung trimmers back in the racks one evening and a red fox that lives around the house walked right up my driveway in front of me and tripped the motion flood. Its never scared of me. Watched me awhile. Red as fire fur with black legs. See him once a month. Need to put a trail cam and fox pee out.

someguyintraffic

I like foxes, both red and gray. I love to watch them.

Dropped a pretty grey that got hit at Lake Allatoona off to a taxidermist last month. Perfect female. He mounted it for a display. She didnt have milk so no kits. She was beautiful. Grey's are beautiful. Cool animals.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We`ve got both kinds around here. They actually tame down fairly easy.

They`ll put a hurtin` on your chickens though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a pair of reds that live around here. The male comes out and screams at night sometimes. I saw him curled up asleep beside my mailbox a while back. Sadly, the grays have about disappeared around here in the last decade or so. There are still several grays on my place in SC, but no reds.

There is a pair of reds where I work that are about as tame as dogs.

someguyintraffic

Reds have been known to kill greys in the wild. Don't know if it's territorial or a prey shortage deal.

Attachments

• Appalachian Fox Species_0.jpg
    Appalachian Fox Species_0.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 12

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We`ve got both kinds around here. They actually tame down fairly easy.

They`ll put a hurtin` on your chickens though.
Yes, they sure will. I don't have chickens now, because I don't have anybody to take care of them if I want to go off for a few days, so I don't mind the foxes hanging around.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We lost 10 chickens in one night back in January to a red. Ended up losing 14 total. I hated to do it but The Redhead declared war so i went to work. Ended up with 2 reds and 3 grays. All made fine fur. And we still got a pile of foxes. I finally foxproofed the coop.foxproof4.jpgGray.jpgredfoz1.jpg

foxproof2.jpg

someguyintraffic

I thought about this regarding foxes being solitary. Is it an evolution trait because they are the smallest canid and in most of their habitat they overlap with larger canid threats? Is it a mechanism to not put all the eggs in one basket so to speak and protect from the whole troop getting wiped out by coyotes or wolves?

someguyintraffic

Of course they don't seem to fare too well when eating Nicodemus owned yard bird either.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
We have so many wood rats in our fields around the house we hardly ever miss a chicken.
They will get one if it sits a nest.
And they find it.
The coons seem to be the main killer & my dad has got them fed up at his deer stand. They getting corn fat. ?.

kbow

I have an old game camera series of pics that one of my cameras took several years ago that show a grey fox caught and killed by a pair of coyote. Never figured that!

Hillbilly stalker

I alway heard the coyotes would kill them off as competition. Used to see them quiet regular around here. I work in town and the lady I work with feeds everything that comes by,deer, coons, possum and a beautiful red fox. That ol fox will stand on the side walk if they ain't no cat food out and stare at the building from about 15 yards for 30 minutes . Yeah they will tame down good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I alway heard the coyotes would kill them off as competition. Used to see them quiet regular around here. I work in town and the lady I work with feeds everything that comes by,deer, coons, possum and a beautiful red fox. That ol fox will stand on the side walk if they ain't no cat food out and stare at the building from about 15 yards for 30 minutes . Yeah they will tame down good.

Coyotes kill foxes, reds more than grays since grays can climb. Wolves and lions kill coyotes. I personally never have known of bobcats killing foxes, but predators do try to kill off the competition for prey.

someguyintraffic

Where did you hear of this?
My mistake, not greys but in the North country theyll kill artic foxes who compete for food and eat them.

Attachments

• tale-two-foxes-don-gutoski-news.jpg
    tale-two-foxes-don-gutoski-news.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 7