So my first time goin in on henson creek anybody know if this area at the upper campground gets crowded opening weekend of bow season?

Christian hughey

Any body got a good idea of what areas get crowded. Where can I go to get away. Any help from any of you vet bear hunters would be greatly appreciated really looking forward to getting one of these guys in the crock pot Thanks

Buckman18

Hope you plan on hiking a good ways because the road to the upper Chattahoochee campground is closed. FYI, in case you didn’t know. The gate is closed at the top of the Mtn and a couple miles above low gap campground due to hazardous conditions.

Christian hughey

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the heads up. I heard about the bad situation with the tornado up there and all the rain making access not so good but I havnt been up there In a couple years. Was hopein to set up camp there oh well.

tree cutter 08

Between the hurricane last year and record rain this year it's been something else. Anybody know when they have it back open?

35 Whelen

White County
• FSR79 - Chimney Mountain
• FSR44 - Chattahoochee River (from FSR44C to HWY 17)
Temporary closure to vehicles is required to protect and maintain roads adjacent to sensitive wildlife habitat and streams. Closures will continue until roads can dry out to prevent further damage.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/conf/alerts-notices/?aid=45343

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Its in bad shape. I hiked up there back in June and there are trees down everywhere! Te camping area is an absolute wreck with storm damage

ripplerider

Check out Chestatee WMA there's about as many bears and not even half the pressure. It's close to Chattahoochee in fact it shares a border for quite a ways.

Buckman18

Check out Chestatee WMA there's about as many bears and not even half the pressure. It's close to Chattahoochee in fact it shares a border for quite a ways.

That where I’ll be. Swallow Creek also. Too many folks on Chattahoochee cramping my style.

Christian hughey

Thank you sir I will be in the area opening weekend I just wanna see a good one. super excited. Will definitely do a little lookin around the Friday before (hope they are up doin bear stuff) really lookin forward to getting my first bear.

Killer Kyle

The access there is gated off, and according to USFS personnel I have spoken to it will not be reopened anytime in the forseen future. It may be opened sometime next year. They put out a bid for a salvage cut on the good timber and are waiting to seal the deal. That should be last on your list to hunt. The FS moves like snails, and if they say the road isn't going to be open until next year, they are probably right.

Killer Kyle

So...what you're saying is a fella would pretty much have the area to himself if he didn't mind the leg work? :unsure:
That would be the message! Anyone willing to haul a bear out of there is a bona fide man. You know me Tio, and I am willing to haul a bear out, but I ain't hauling a bear outta there with the gates closed. He can have it! How is life down there in South GA for you Tio? Your legs are gonna get awful skinny without any hills to climb!

Last edited:

Tio Hey Seuss

That would be the message! Anyone willing to haul a bear out of there is a bona fide man. You know me Tio, and I am willing to haul a bear out, but I ain't hauling a bear outta there with the gates closed. He can have it! How is life down there in South GA for you Tio? Your legs are gonna get awful skinny without any hills to climb!

Life is good but lord do I miss the bears!! I'm trying to combat my flat lander legs with extra miles but there's nothing that quite simulates mountain hunting conditions. How's life up in the hills?

Tio Hey Seuss

That is exactly what I am getting from it but there are others out there like us
There are but not many. Don't let Killer fool you though. He's a boot rubber burning, bear hunting son of a gun!
All those unhunted acres have got me reconsidering my game plan for the Sept gun hunt but it's all yours on archery opener.
I have had good luck getting in behind areas that get lots of traffic and letting the hordes push game my way. If you're willing to walk and able to pack I'd consider it. Keep in mind that your pack out will be hours of pure torture...but it's SO MUCH FUN afterwards haha.

Christian hughey

Yeah I can imagine, put in my share of time in the woods chasin whitetails. But a 3, 400lb bear will definitely be a task. But I'm game. Hunt my way in and hunt my way back sounds like a plan I tried bear years ago and It was delicious nice roast and taters ready to get a nice one on the wall and in the crock pot.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
You don't have to go 2 miles in for a bear. They are EVERYWHERE up here this year. Just find a good spot and go find some white oak acorns and you'll find bears. Kill your limit and then take someone else and let them kill theirs too. Don't forget Dukes Creek and the tons of National Forest in the area, the animals don't know the difference.

Tio Hey Seuss

Yea, I agree. I just like the experience and process of hunting somewhere remote and living out of a backpack for a few days. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment haha.