Missing trebles

Rabun

Here's a weird one...I was trolling a couple crank baits last weekend catching a fish here and there. i reeled in this one and found that both trebble hooks were missing. I've lost hooks before, but usually due to a strike or snag and the split ring would be damaged/stretched. No idea what happened...hard to believe that both hooks would have wriggled loose. Hooks were not rusted. This ever happen to you?

missing hooks.jpg

RamblinWreck

Is that lure made in China? Maybe the hooks were, and the metal was bad. I've cut Chinese logging chain in half with a hacksaw and it was rusty and porous on the inside, just complete ca ca.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Well after looking at your lure, I see that a bunch of PETA Idiots have infested your tackle box recently. Yep, these new-fangled lures are called "DAG-NABBITS".

It is hard to believe but these PETA characters have developed different variations of really life-like treble hooks that simply disappear after being in the water for a total of around 5 minutes. Once the treble hooks disintegrate, your lure then becomes the "HOUDINI" ENTERTAINMENT LURES THAT AFTER LOOSING THEIR HOOKS ARE MEANT JUST TO ENTERTAIN THE FISH AS IT SWIMS BY UNDERNEATH THE WATER !!!!! :hair::hair::hair:

Well just be thankful that the original color pattern DID remain on your lure . :pop:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We got into a school of hybrids earlier this year while throwing topwater for spots. A 5lb hybrid will absolutely destroy some tackle. I had the split rings ripped off of an Ima walking stick.

Rabun

Is that lure made in China? Maybe the hooks were, and the metal was bad. I've cut Chinese logging chain in half with a hacksaw and it was rusty and porous on the inside, just complete ca ca.

I've been using that lure for a while and have replaced the trebles and split rings not too long ago...they only last but so many fish and nets so they weren't the stock gear. I think it's a rapala but not sure. Two at once is just strange.

Rabun

We got into a school of hybrids earlier this year while throwing topwater for spots. A 5lb hybrid will absolutely destroy some tackle. I had the split rings ripped off of an Ima walking stick.

I agree...but that's what's strange...nothing hit it. Was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I've got to believe they just somehow wriggled free.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Just how fast was you trolling? Just kidding, two at once is weird.

It must have been the Lock Ness Monster messing with you. I've been fishing a long time and I've sprung a split ring but never lost just the hook.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very strange. I've never lost a treble off a plug-even with the factory split rings.

red neck richie

Definitely weird. Never had that happen. Ive straightened out many a hook or had to cut a bait off due to being snagged but never seen a hook come completely off at the split ring let alone two. What crankbait were you using?

Beagler

Been bass fishing for over 50 years and never had that happen or even heard of it happening.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve lost a treble hook. It was trolling in saltwater on a spoon straight from the package and the split ring was still good as new. I wanted to see if it would happen again so I put a new treble hook on ( that wasn’t stainless) and it stayed on that spoon for many years till the hook rusted off and reminded me of losing the hook years prior. I blamed it on trolling speed and just an odd spin. At first I thought it was maybe the balance of the spoon but it tracked identical to the other spoons we had and was checked at different speeds.
It never lost the hook again. Odd thing about that spoon was it never caught a fish. Any of the identical spoons that we had used before tore the Spanish mackerel and blue fish up. That’s why I bought it. The cuda’s would break our line eating the Spanish so we’d buy more and more spoons but that was the last spoon bought like it. Nothing would touch that spoon so it rotted in the box years down the road. I jinx it by calling it my lucky lure before buying it and taking it out of the package. Man was I excited about that specific new spoon. Pure junk but a great memory to me in the long run. So yeah hooks can fall off and leave you bewildered.
Two hooks on the same troll must have been magical. You’ll never forget that.

Scout'nStripers

If they were on there when you put the bait in the water the only logical explanation is failed split rings. If it were rusty hooks the split rings would still be there. Gotta be the split rings imo.

615groundpounder

It looks to me like the split rings are still on the lure in the picture. If so are the split rings stretched open any showing any gap? If not I'm betting the hooks just broke to faulty manufacturing. Two at the same time could very well be an error in the manufacturing process.

Last edited:

Fullnet2

Here's a weird one...I was trolling a couple crank baits last weekend catching a fish here and there. i reeled in this one and found that both trebble hooks were missing. I've lost hooks before, but usually due to a strike or snag and the split ring would be damaged/stretched. No idea what happened...hard to believe that both hooks would have wriggled loose. Hooks were not rusted. This ever happen to you?

View attachment 940088
probably threaded on o rings clockwise. This will cause many problems