Spine Question

pmimbs

I recently went from 40# limbs to 50# limbs on my recurve. I bought a couple new arrows of different spines thinking I’d have to tune new arrows. My arrows tuned to the 40# limbs seem to be flying fine out of my 50# limbs tho. I see no variance in flight or how it sticks into the target (nock left/nock right). Is it possible that these arrows can be tuned to the new limbs despite the increase in draw weight? I am shooting aluminum arrows at 28.5” draw.

dutchman

Your results do not surprise me. Maybe they should, but they don't. I have ZERO experience with aluminum arrows, but with carbon I can tell you that I have experienced similar results. I can shoot 3555 (500 spine) arrows from a 45#@28" longbow (I draw it to 30.5") as well as a 52#@27-1/2 longbow and a 50#@30" recurve. I do change point weights, but only slightly.

To answer your question, yes. Tuning the arrows to the bow with the heavier limbs is not only possible but is a good exercise to process through.

Dennis

With a recurve there is a pretty wide range of arrow spine that will fly pretty good. So if you only want a arrow to fly without fishtailing there's a fairly wide range that will work. But if you hunt tune your arrows with the broadhead you plan to hunt with and get them shooting not only flying well but hitting where your aiming. That would be fine tuning.

pmimbs

With a recurve there is a pretty wide range of arrow spine that will fly pretty good. So if you only want a arrow to fly without fishtailing there's a fairly wide range that will work. But if you hunt tune your arrows with the broadhead you plan to hunt with and get them shooting not only flying well but hitting where your aiming. That would be fine tuning.

I do hunt so my next step is to see how they fly with broadheads and go from there. If I’m lucky I can use the same arrows I’ve already got made up(y)
If not I’ll tune new arrows which is fine too I enjoy that part of it as much as anything!

Dennis

You may be able to shorten your original arrows to stiffen them up some if there still long enough for your draw length