question bout skwerlls

Wide Earp

dad ( today would have his 74th b'day if he hadn't gone on to his reward 27 years ago next month )always said don't shoot the tree rats till after the first frost to avoid wolfs aka botfly larvae but later on I hear any squirrel infested now will stay that way until they hatch, I always try to look before I choot'em what say ye frost kill'em or will the larvae remain till it hatches and drops?

Hillbilly stalker

Old timers used to mark time in different ways. It's about like " when the dogwoods bloom, the crappie are on the bank ". "Dog days of summer, catfish got the sore mouth" and they are many others. These are observations made by people who spent most of there time working and outdoors . I look at them as being pretty accurate, not exact maybe, but more right than wrong. A lot of today's more educated people laugh at a Farmers Almanac....ask a old farmer about it tho. It's almost gospel back in the mountains. The frost don't kill them, but most of them are gone about that time a year.

Wide Earp

Old timers used to mark time in different ways. It's about like " when the dogwoods bloom, the crappie are on the bank ". "Dog days of summer, catfish got the sore mouth" and they are many others. These are observations made by people who spent most of there time working and outdoors . I look at them as being pretty accurate, not exact maybe, but more right than wrong. A lot of today's more educated people laugh at a Farmers Almanac....ask a old farmer about it tho. It's almost gospel back in the mountains. The frost don't kill them, but most of them are gone about that time a year.
roger that, gonna go back to stalkin' them thar critters this year(y)(y)

JackSprat

Almost all of my older relatives, now all gone, insisted on planting by the moon. Didn't want to be caught planting on a waning moon.

I'm not superstitious, but I've never felt a need to experiment with this accepted wisdom.

Danykulf

[QUOTE = "JackSprat, сообщение: 11301394, участник: 125253"] Почти все мои старшие родственники, теперь все ушли, настояли на посадке на луну. Не хотел, чтобы его поймали на посадке на луну.

Я не суеверен, но я никогда не испытывал необходимость экспериментировать с этой принятой мудростью. [/ QUOTE]

I agree with you

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
From my somewhat limited experience and childhood memory, the wolves aren't that bad the very first week or so of season. Then they come on strongly.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
If memory serves me right, they are usually gone by mid to late october. Squirrels down here in the swamps usually have them when season comes around in August and thru september.

Darkhorse

I've killed squirrels with wolves Late November into December but they are rare at that time.
I've killed a couple where the larvae had burrowed down into the shoulder muscle and had to be cut out. I don't need to eat skwerl that bad.

Wide Earp

I've killed squirrels with wolves Late November into December but they are rare at that time.
I've killed a couple where the larvae had burrowed down into the shoulder muscle and had to be cut out. I don't need to eat skwerl that bad.
if I cap one and it is carrying I just give it to the dog! and they do get into the meat and it messes with the taste of the skwerl dumplin's (n):sick: