Coon problem

RWilk10

There may be a post out already in regards to this. However, I am having a major coon problem. For approximately 6-8 weeks now I have had out trough feeder, with protein feed in it. For the life of me I cannot keep the coons out of it. Two, the deer are not touching it. I have had pics of a FEW deer around it, but they have not once, ate any of it. In past years this has been a hot spot for me, and deer have killed that feeder. Any past experience, or remedies that any of you know of? Thanks.

rosewood

It is my understanding that you can trap coons to relocate out of trapping season, but if you intend on killing them, you have to do it during trapping season and have to have a trapping license. You might want to check the laws on trapping before doing so.

Now, I have used live animal traps to catch them and it works, but eventually they get smart and will not go in the trap. I have used a can of sardines as bait. Corn will attract other critters such as rabbits. You are also liable to catch 'possums with the trap. I had the best luck trapping them using the duke's dog proof coon trap. I would stake the trap and chain to tree. Stuff sardines in it then set and pile leaves up around it so mostly the opening was visible. Never failed to catch a coon. They couldn't resist and their greed is what gets them caught. They keep digging until they hit the trigger and it clamps on their paw. Probably painful and looks like it breaks their paw, so you have to dispatch them.

Even though it is "dog" proof, cats could very well get caught in one, so don't use one where there are domestic cats.

I have tried every thing I could think of to keep coons out of my deer feed and the only permanent solution was by removing the coons. They always found a way around the obstacles I put in their way from vaseline on feeder legs to thumbtacks, to barb wire.

I have seen some metal deer feeders that are made in such a way a coon cannot get in them. The metal is too slick for them to climb in, but those things are well over $200.

Rosewood

RWilk10

A cur or feist will pop them up hot off the feeder. Broke tree dogs don't bother deer.

I love deer hunting while someone is running dogs rabbit hunting. I'm sure ALOT of ppl would disagree, but I have seen a lot of deer while this was going on. The deer do not leave the country, they will just ease out of the way and let the dogs go by. In my experience.

RWilk10

It is my understanding that you can trap coons to relocate out of trapping season, but if you intend on killing them, you have to do it during trapping season and have to have a trapping license. You might want to check the laws on trapping before doing so.

Now, I have used live animal traps to catch them and it works, but eventually they get smart and will not go in the trap. I have used a can of sardines as bait. Corn will attract other critters such as rabbits. You are also liable to catch 'possums with the trap. I had the best luck trapping them using the duke's dog proof coon trap. I would stake the trap and chain to tree. Stuff sardines in it then set and pile leaves up around it so mostly the opening was visible. Never failed to catch a coon. They couldn't resist and their greed is what gets them caught. They keep digging until they hit the trigger and it clamps on their paw. Probably painful and looks like it breaks their paw, so you have to dispatch them.

Even though it is "dog" proof, cats could very well get caught in one, so don't use one where there are domestic cats.

I have tried every thing I could think of to keep coons out of my deer feed and the only permanent solution was by removing the coons. They always found a way around the obstacles I put in their way from vaseline on feeder legs to thumbtacks, to barb wire.

I have seen some metal deer feeders that are made in such a way a coon cannot get in them. The metal is too slick for them to climb in, but those things are well over $200.

Rosewood

Thank you. I will definitely set some this evening and "relocate" them.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Thank you. I will definitely set some this evening and "relocate" them.

So, you're going to relocate them so they are someone else's problem? Just shoot em.

Jim Ammons

Save your self $ from a fine.
UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES
Holding, possessing, releasing, or importing wildlife without a permit from the DNR.

Hillbilly stalker

Or if people would let coon hunters hunt their club for a partial amount of dues.,..you get less coons and more money for more feed. Ain’t no decent coon dog gonna run your deer off. If they did the Dog clubs would only get to run once a year

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Best Coon trap there is..

duke-dog-proof-raccoon-trap-276.gif

rosewood

I think I may have misunderstood the law. It does appear that trapping them period requires a license. However, during coon season, you can shoot them with your hunting license. Don't take my word for it though, read up on the regs.

Rosewood

rosewood

jakebuddy

It is against the law to trap or shoot out of season, however through DNR they have land management permits that you can apply for that as long as you have a written management plan for your property with goals and objectives written out you can get a permit to control furbearers year round. Don’t listen to people telling you break the law. Raccoon season opens oct 15 and trapping season opens dec 1. You are already investing in your property or lease go one more step and do things right.

Tarpenter

Agree on the paw trap. I had a half dozen coons at each of my troughs (5), now zero. Only took about 5 weeks to get rid of approx. 30 coons. Rosewood is right "their greed is what does em in". The only thing I did different was I used small marshmallows. No mess, no fuss. Just drop a half dozen down inside trap and another half dozen on the ground around the trap and your good to go. At first I would get one every other night, then they would seem to back off a little so I'd pull the trap out and let the area cool off for a couple days then reset and bingo. Also I think washing the trap seemed to help as well. A coon is a nasty critter, and some of em, while in the trap over night can really make a mess

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
its not legal to trap them until december 1.

its not legal to kill them with hounds till october 15 and the limit is 3 a day.