Fish grease. How many times?

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
How long will you store and how many times will you use fish grease?

A few weeks and a couple of times for me. Am I wasting grease?

Jim Baker

Staff member
How long will you store and how many times will you use fish grease?

A few weeks and a couple of times for me. Am I wasting grease?

We held a Wed. night fish fry for over 30 years. About 15 years ago we bought a commercial fryer. Being as the cooking oil never got burned and the dripping didn't either we some time would go 8 or 9 months. Always fried taters in the same oil. Never took out of the fryer had a heavy steel lid to seal it.

But the secret is not letting the meal and drippings burn in the bottom of your pan. If you pour the oil up every time and put in a cool place it will last for months.

jcbcpa

I"ve got a cajun cooker that I use. I change my grease in October and March each year. I also drain the grease and wash out all of the drippings at the bottom every 4 or 5 cookings.

NOYDB

BANNED
Strain thew cheese cloth before the bits settle to the bottom. Seal it either in the cooker or in container. (Jug it came in, works) Can refrigerate between uses. After straining should be clear, cloudy oil is done, start fresh.

Artfuldodger

One could read up on the oxidative damage of oil when heated. Something about oxygen and free radicals. Not that I understand all that I know about it though.
Like Jimbo says, it's the temperature and burning that messes with the grease/oil characteristics.

Rancidity must also be considered. Not that I use and store deep fryer grease, we use peanut oil in our kitchen deep fryer. Usually change it it when it gets too many hush puppy or egg roll crumbs in it.

I read that coconut oil was pretty stable. Some oils can handle the heat better than others.

I would probably want to store it in a refrigerator if I was going to keep it for more than three months. I would also agree to strain/filter the oil before storage.

I would think slightly old oil may taste better than brand new oil. Think about that restaurant that never changes their burger cooking oil. Dyer's Burgers in Memphis has 100 year old grease.
That's a bit weird.