Favorite bear cooking recipes?

Bowhunter77

Tell me about ways that you like to prepare them? I thought about smoking it then chopping roast for sandwiches. Chili recipes??? What do you guys like?

tree cutter 08

I've tried it every way and my favorite is to smoke it. I rub it down with Montreal steak seasoning and cook on the egg at 250 for a couple of hours or 3. Pull it and place in a pan with about a inch of Apple juice and wrap good with foil. Cook till at least 200 degrees or 205 and it will fall off the bone and melt in your mouth. I pull it and divide into meal portions and vacuum seal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any way that you cook beef or pork will work with bear. Bear meat is beefpork. I would recommend that you cook it pretty well-done, though, as bears, like pigs, can carry trichinosis.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We typically save the backstraps for filet steaks and chunk the rest for canning. If you've never had it canned, you're missing out. I have fed countless people a meal of canned bear meat with brown gravy and they never once suspected it was anything but good pot roast.

Ground bear also makes an excellent hamburger, but like NCHB said, you gotta cook it past medium.

The mention of cooking to well done is excellent advice. I have read recent studies that show that while the number of people who actually eat bear meat is quite low as compared to pork, the percentage of known cases of trichinosis runs at about 80% being attributed to eating bear meat.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I had some pot roast one time that was made with a bear roast slow cooked with potatoes, carrots, and onions, in a gravy, that was as good as anything I`ve ever eaten. That stuff knowed it was good.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
The mention of cooking to well done is excellent advice. I have read recent studies that show that while the number of people who actually eat bear meat is quite low as compared to pork, the percentage of known cases of trichinosis runs at about 80% being attributed to eating bear meat.

Here's an excellent article on trich and bear meat and how to handle it safely.
https://honest-food.net/on-trichinosis-in-wild-game/

Christian hughey

Great article sir, I never considered that. I thought it was just hogs. I haven't been able to find a bear harvest report that dates past 2012. 6 yrs is a lot of valuable information. Is there somewhere I can go for a more recent report? Looking to get my first bear and I want a good one. Don't mind walk'in I still got a few good years and a pretty big cart. We'll see!

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Great article sir, I never considered that. I thought it was just hogs. I haven't been able to find a bear harvest report that dates past 2012. 6 yrs is a lot of valuable information. Is there somewhere I can go for a more recent report? Looking to get my first bear and I want a good one. Don't mind walk'in I still got a few good years and a pretty big cart. We'll see!
https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/d...s/bear/north_ga_bear_harvest_summary_2016.pdf

Bowhunter77

Ok so if I grind it up, are there and extra precautions when cleaning the grinder and plates ? Should a regular dishwasher get hot enough or drop it in some boiling water first?

Buckman18

Usually I smoke ‘em over hickory for dinners at work. I’d probably like it more if I didn’t skin them myself. They stink. I just can’t make myself like them. I told the Killer Kyle if I get lucky this year he can have mine. Hogs stink too, but I can eat them? Go figure.

Buckman18

Ok so if I grind it up, are there and extra precautions when cleaning the grinder and plates ? Should a regular dishwasher get hot enough or drop it in some boiling water first?

Boiling water and Dawn or Joy or Great Value is good.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Usually I smoke ‘em over hickory for dinners at work. I’d probably like it more if I didn’t skin them myself. They stink. I just can’t make myself like them. I told the Killer Kyle if I get lucky this year he can have mine. Hogs stink too, but I can eat them? Go figure.

Of all the bears I've killed, all but one were boars and I've never had one that stunk. Go figure.:huh:

Buckman18