12 pounder!

Curvebow05

Today, while waiting for a customer to show up I decided to help myself to the grassy pond behind the business and try to catch a fish or two. I started out throwing a Keitech Swimbait and hooked the biggest crappie I've caught in years. That fat joker flopped off when I tried to flip him over the railing on the walkway. Pretty cool start to the day.
I nailed an 18" pickerel next to a piling under the deck. Shook him off once I got him up and on to the next one. I switched out to a frog that wasn't on my frog rod... that was a mistake.
I launched the frog halfway across the pond and landed perfectly on a weedy point. Twitched it once and someone flushed a toilet under the frog. I set the hook with 60 yards of line out and the battle was on! On the first jump I knew it was larger than any other bass I've had my hands on. He wrapped me around a piling and I got him back out, he wrapped me around another one and got tangled in some other line that was hanging in the water. I reluctantly opened the bail on the spinning rod that I shouldn't have been using and let him swim free and jump to shake out of the tangled line.
After one more jump he was done and I now had to figure out how to lift this behemoth 10+ feet onto the dock and over the railing. That was the only time I have not had any other options to land a fish. I wrapped the 20lb braid around my hands and started pulling this bass up, shredding my hands without a care in the world. The line slipped and sliced with each wrap and pull and the giant bass inched closer to my hands. I got him within 4 feet and the line snapped where it had rubbed around the pilings sending my $2.99 frog and 12+ lb bass of a lifetime back into the weedy depths dragging my heart and soul with it.
I have caught a lot of 5-8lb bass throughout my life and this one could have fit my largest in his mouth. The little blue and white frog looked like a micro sized frog as I was pulling him up and watching him fall back in. Needless to say I will be back with a vengeance, and a new frog in pursuit of the giant green beauty that lives across the road from me.

jocko755

The ones we lose are sometimes bigger memories then the ones we catch. These memories will stick around and haunt you - until you catch it.

Get it and post a pic!

Curvebow05

don't forget your long handled net...then post us a pic of that pig (y)
I need an extra long one for that place. Probably should a doctored up the hands from the braid slices, but every time I feel the cuts it gives me a flashback. Working on a kayak attack plan already for that big girl.

ThomasCobb123

Those "12 pounders" don't mean too much unless they're photographed and weighed in front of some witnesses.
The "big one that got away" is as old as the hills.(n)

Curvebow05

There's always a hater that can't cast a bait caster without backlashing and couldn't catch a 5 pounder if it jumped into his hand. I'll enjoy the chase while they sit on the couch. Unfortunately witnesses are rare for me since most of my outdoor activities are alone since I don't need help to put a worm on a hook. I may not ever hook that fish again even though it's a small pond, but I will certainly enjoy the relentless pursuit. And there will be plenty of pictures when I do get ahold of her.

Cadillyak

This is why we fish. For me, life can be quite predictable. Work, home, kids, family... rise and repeat, not that I’m complaining. But fishing gives me that unknown. Something that cannot be predicted no matter how well you draw up the plans the night before. Now that u know she is there, the fire inside you will burn brighter than ever. Every blow up that happens will have you pondering “is that her? And if it isn’t, on to the next cast. I cherish the ones that got away. They have given me the love for the sport.

When you hook “that one,” everything will play back in your mind. Are the hooks sharp? Did I re tie after the last fish? Is my braid worn anywhere down the line? What kind of knot did I tie and did I wet it before I sinched it?

If we fished purely for food, the nearest Kroger is a mile or so away. We are all chasing the one that got away.

Like everyone says “it’s called fishing and not catching for a reason.”

Pics are great, but the chase is greater...

ThomasCobb123

There's always a hater that can't cast a bait caster without backlashing and couldn't catch a 5 pounder if it jumped into his hand. I'll enjoy the chase while they sit on the couch. Unfortunately witnesses are rare for me since most of my outdoor activities are alone since I don't need help to put a worm on a hook. I may not ever hook that fish again even though it's a small pond, but I will certainly enjoy the relentless pursuit. And there will be plenty of pictures when I do get ahold of her.
My comments have nothing to do with "hate". Get over it, man.
No fish weighs 12 pounds until it's in the hand and on a scale and photographed.
By the way, I've probably caught about 15,000 bass over 5 pounds in the last fifty years. Oh...do you believe that? Why not ??? (I don't have a picture of them, that's why).
:giggle::giggle:

ThomasCobb123

This is why we fish. For me, life can be quite predictable. Work, home, kids, family... rise and repeat, not that I’m complaining. But fishing gives me that unknown. Something that cannot be predicted no matter how well you draw up the plans the night before. Now that u know she is there, the fire insid(y)e you will burn brighter than ever. Every blow up that happens will have you pondering “is that her? And if it isn’t, on to the next cast. I cherish the ones that got away. They have given me the love for the sport.
When you hook “that one,” everything will play back in your mind. Are the hooks sharp? Did I re tie after the last fish? Is my braid worn anywhere down the line? What kind of knot did I tie and did I wet it before I sinched it?
If we fished purely for food, the nearest Kroger is a mile or so away. We are all chasing the one that got away.
Like everyone says “it’s called fishing and not catching for a reason.”
Pics are great, but the chase is greater...
Personally I'll take the "catching" part over the "fishing" part.
What I do with the fish AFTER the catching depends on how benevolent I feel toward the fish at the time. Usually he/she gets turned loose...especially the big ones.
BUT, they get photographed on those hand scales in front of me flashing a big stupid grin first. Memories, you know.
(y)

Curvebow05

I would say your numbers are over inflated, but going on the numbers I have caught in 30, your chances are quite good that you've caught one. I was merely saying that your dispensable negativity is exactly that. Whether you choose to accept that some people have the experience to judge things is up to you. Next time I'll take a picture and send it to you personally. I hope the lighting will be good enough to at least get your humble approval ?. Go troll back in the political pages where people care enough to conversate with your old cranky negative ***.

ThomasCobb123

I would say your numbers are over inflated, but going on the numbers I have caught in 30, your chances are quite good that you've caught one. I was merely saying that your dispensable negativity is exactly that. Whether you choose to accept that some people have the experience to judge things is up to you. Next time I'll take a picture and send it to you personally. I hope the lighting will be good enough to at least get your humble approval ?. Go troll back in the political pages where people care enough to conversate with your old cranky negative ***.
Okay..okay..okay.
I see you're baiting for a fight. Well pardner you ain't gonna' get one from me.
However I will pose this question before I go away.....about your speaking of "dispensable negativity".
What if "dispensable negativity", as you refer to it, is reality..?
:unsure:

Browniez

Get that bugger. Motivation!

A lot of them we hook once, learn their lesson. Every once in awhile we get em though.

There’s a brown trout about 29 or 30 inches I’ve rolled 3 times off the same stump this year. It’s the drive to push the rest of the season!

Go get her and post some pics so we can live through you in M-F cubicle land!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Keep it clean in here, this is a grated forum.

Curvebow05

Cool story, hope you get another shot at that hog.wonder what the solar lunar tables and the barometer were last Wed?
It was right around 10am if that helps. I don't pay attention to the tables, I fish when I get a chance and I fish harder when my gut tells me too.

Curvebow05

Get that bugger. Motivation!

A lot of them we hook once, learn their lesson. Every once in awhile we get em though.

There’s a brown trout about 29 or 30 inches I’ve rolled 3 times off the same stump this year. It’s the drive to push the rest of the season!

Go get her and post some pics so we can live through you in M-F cubicle land!

There's a 7 lber that we have watched grow up in my buddies pond back home. She has never hit the same lure more than once, but has been caught 2-3 times a year for several years and never grown more than a few ounces in those years. I have learned that some mature fish stay in the same basic space all the time. You will always see them under the same dock or next to the same fallen tree. That can make them easy to catch or be very frustrating when you know they are there but won't bite.