Cooking for Son's wedding Saturday

GA1dad

Well, I think I have everything in the truck. Just need to hook up the trailer lights and chains. Should be a simple cook,,, just 3 hours away.

His requested menu for 30 folks

Pulled pork
Chicken halves for those that don't dine on swine
Sweet Potato crunch
Smoke mac-n-cheese
Tater salad
Baked beans
Slaw
And I'm providing Conecuh sausages as a bonus

I'm expecting plenty of sitting around time and will try to take lots of pictures!!

20180817_111335.jpg

Dub

That's what I'm talking about right there !!!!!!

You got it goin on, JD.

Loaded up and ready to roll out. I can't wait to see the pics from this bigtime feast.

Congrats on your boy getting married and congrats on your being there to throwdown on the pit. An honor....a privilege that Dad's the world over will surely envy.

Well done.

naildrvr

That sounds like the perfect menu for any occasion, especially with the "bonus" you mentioned. Congrats to your son and his bride!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to your son! Sounds like a wedding reception to remember!

What is this "sweet potato crunch" that you speak of? Sounds interesting.

Patriot44

Banned
Congrats to your son, JD. The only question that I have is, does your son prefer the awesomeness that is Sweet Carolina sauce or the nasty red NC/GA carp?....:p

I am also interested in this sweet tater crunch that you speak of.

GA1dad

So far so good. We have the pork wrapped. Just put the chicken on. All the side dishes are prepared and waiting to go on. It's been a fun family experience as my wife and daughter are getting hands on too.

20180818_124438.jpg20180818_103052.jpg20180818_101719.jpg20180818_090003.jpg20180818_131050.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good!

naildrvr

Yes sir, I can already tell that this is gonna unfold beaurtifully. Nothing like having your sidekicks right there to lend that much needed hand.

Dub

AWESOMENESS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a mighty powerful motivation to cook hard and ignite their taste buds.

GA1dad

Well,, it's all done and everyone was fed,,, and they loved it. Lots and lots of compliments. My son was particularly pleased with the grub. The wedding was scheduled for 4:30,,, but mother nature decided we needed a thunderstorm at 4:00. The big tent flipped over on itself. Everyone hustled and got it back on track. Luckily I had my ez-up secured with buckets of water and it held strong. The cooker did me real proud,, thin blue smoke all day,, and I mean aaaallllllllll day. I almost had room for everything. I did have to cook the baked beans on top of the firebox,, but it worked like it was planned all along.

Mac-n-cheese and sweet potato crunch ( pecans, brown sugar, flour and butter make the crunchy topping ) going on

20180818_140302.jpg

Pulled pork

20180818_172325.jpg

Yardbird and sausages ( I spread the Conecuh gospel to everyone that asked )

20180818_172328.jpg

Mac-n-cheese,,, baked beans with pineapple bits, turkey sausage crumbles, cayenne pepper,,, homemade slaw,,,, and store bought tater salad ( the only thing i didn't prepare on site )

20180818_172339.jpg

The full spread

20180818_172348.jpg

Get outta the way,, here they come

20180818_174110.jpg

The sweet potato crunch was a hit actually.

20180818_174917.jpg

And now back at the hotel doing my best old school Jim Thompson impression

20180818_211242.jpg

So a lot of this was guess work as far as amounts. I knew I wanted a full size pan of everything. To achieve that I cooked
4 medium butts

2 - #10 cans of bushes baked beans

3 - #10 cans of cooked yams ( drained )

4 - 1 lb. boxes of large elbow macaroni

7 - small bags of slaw mix

4 - large tubs of potato salad

The pan of chicken and sausage represents 3 whole birds cut in half and 4 packages of sausage

If anyone wants specific recipes and amounts,,, I'll be glad to share,,,,,, tomorrow. LOL!!
Ol' Dad is whipped.

Dub

Nailed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rest up and enjoy that feel when you've hit a grand slam home run and won the game.

Clutch performance....Mother Nature and all.

Great looking spread !!!!

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Great job, GA1dad. I'm sure all involved were appreciative, and well stuffed!

Dub

I learn how to make a sweet potato crunch like that !!!!!

Grilled shicken halves are one of my favorite things to cook.

Planning on doing some next week.