Newbie Kayak question for rivers

j_seph

Say you are on a river, hit a rapid and manage to fall in. How do you folks manage to not be stuck upstream of your kayak as it continues to float on down stream. Seems it would keep going and could easily get away from you in the current leaving you stranded lol

SASS249

One of the common problems of kayaking alone. The general rule we use when teaching people to canoe or kayak on moving water is: Do Not Panic. Get away from the boat and get yourself situated. Hopefully you have everything of value secured in the boat or on your person. Once you sort yourself out then figure out how to retrieve your vessel. Hopefully you have a spare paddle secured to your boat so all you need to do is swim to the boat. Do not underestimate how much trouble you can get into on even moderately swift moving water. Usually when kayaking with others, one person goes after your boat and the others keep track of you.

jocko755

Agree. Paddle with others. The best method is do not panic & "do not try to stand in current." Point your feet down stream, lay back, and use your hands to paddle yourself toward shore or slack water. Avoid down tree strainers which can snag your clothes and drown you. Get away from the boat which can fill with water and pin you against rocks. You can always get to shore and walk down stream to retrieve the boat. A boat that fills with water is extremely difficult to move or recover. You have to pump or bail the water out. Worse thing you could do is be leashed to the boat or hang on to it. Yeah, no doubt - it will travel down stream and leave you stranded. Hoefully someone will be on the river too and provide assistance.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I've read many pro's and con's regarding kayak leashes. I get the entanglement issue, but I leash my paddles to my yak and use that as an option to hold on to or not when capsized. Thus far I haven't had to test it.

I question the rational of the cons on leashes using the surfboard theory. The surf these pros get dumped in is violent at times, yet they use an ankle leash to keep from being stranded in a bad situation without flotation. Also, I've seen more than my share of inexperienced tubers and yakers get caught in a hydraulic on whitewater and in my amateur opinion that added flotation of the yak on a leash could be the difference between drowning and getting to safety. A PFD is not always enough to save you on a healthy hydraulic.

But hey, I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I use a paddle leash and have had a couple occasions to use it. :O
Flip a SOT over and it’s drained, no boat full of water.
I prefer to connect with my boat and swim to the shore.
If packed or tethered correctly rounding up your gear is easy after that.
PFD always, even if wading around your beached boat fishing.

Last edited:

jcarleto

Remember, if you swim in the same current your boat is in, you're going to catch it. The same current is pushing you. That said:
Kayak with a buddy.
Wear your PFD.
Use leashes.
Don't forget to restrain your glasses (if you are vision-challenged as I am)! I went over once and lost a $500 set of glasses. Not only was paddling the rest of the way a blurry mess, driving home was borderline dangerous.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Remember, if you swim in the same current your boat is in, you're going to catch it. The same current is pushing you. .
This was not my experience back in my more youthful days of inter-tubing on white water. The larger the buoyant object the faster it moved with the current and catching it was near impossible.

jcarleto

Tubes catch more wind and have less surface in the water for drag. Kayaks, and especially heavier fishing SOT types are pretty easy to catch for even a weak swimmer.

While I am thinking about it, SHOES are important! Many rivers and creeks are pretty shallow and there are lots of sharp objects that can ruin your day...or weeks afterward with a nasty infection.

If you don't think cutting or stabbing your foot is a problem, just think back to how many lures and hooks you've lost while fishing. I shudder when I see kids walking around in a river barefoot.

j_seph

Thanks y'all, like I said I am just getting into it and thus far it has only been on a reservoir. I finally got used to the side to side rocking that it ain't going to just tip over that easily lol.

leoparddog

"that it ain't going to just tip over that easily lol."

HA! Just wait until you are fishing and get a little sideways and hit a rock in the middle of the river. I've never flipped going straight downstream but even a 45 degree angle to the flow + an obstruction = likely taking a dip.

Esau

I have flipped several times in warm and cold weather. My boat is always waiting for me not too far downstream. There is eddy water, rocks, sandbars and strainers, they all hold your boat til you can get to it. approach with caution, especially strainers.

fish hawk

Bass Master
It's also very important to learn how to read the river gauges and how your your particular stream paddles at different levels and cfs,something that comes with time on the river.If you fish a river controlled by a hydrological dam you need to know what the release scedule is,you can check river levels here.....https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ga/nwis/rt.
Corps of engineers here.....http://spatialdata.sam.usace.army.mil/hydropower/default.aspx
Georgia power here.......https://www.georgiapower.com/community/environment/lakes-rivers/river-levels.html

Last edited:

Teh Wicked

when a boat is unguided and just floating, it doesn't go far. If you are in moving water it will go to the bottom and usually get stuck on a rock or the bank once the water slows from the drop. I have never seen anyone yard sale to the point they cannot get back to their boat.

ANytime you flip in deeper moving water, just keep your eyes looking downstream, get your feet up off the bottom and out in front of you and just kind ride the water down and avoid any rocks you may hit. Usually anyone who does flip instantly wants to grab the boat, which sinks it...when you flip, just go ahead and tell yourself its ok, be calm, your wearing a PFD and cannot sink.

RamblinWreck

Good advice; I would add: Don't try to stand in fast water, just keep your feet up and swim out. Foot entrapment is the #1 cause of drowning in white water.

HydraYak

All above is great advice!

x100 on always wear a PFD

I attach a 6ft leash of 550 paracord to the bow handle. Loop it at the end. Then attach a coke can sized float. This lead can be used to control the kayak around the bank or in shallow water. You can use a d ring to clip it to anchor points. In the event that you flip over, you can grab the lead to keep your kayak under control as you float out of the rapid. Or if you completely lose the kayak, there's a high probability the floated 6 ft lead line will get hung/wrapped on something down river.