Old school cast iron.

Longhorn 16

Let’s see some. Post up what you have. These are from my grandmother and I can’t match how well they are seasoned. You may have to zoom in to appreciate. Not sure why the two dedicated to corn bread look rusty because they are not.

Attachments

• B8871167-7CCC-442F-A5B1-20A86783C445.jpeg
    B8871167-7CCC-442F-A5B1-20A86783C445.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

VANCE

2v2JFWgWzxurAoi.jpg

2v2JFWGsMxurAoi.jpg

MOTS

Wagner acquired Griswold Manufacturing around 1957. Griswold iron brings a premium price and is highly sought after. The iron will have an almost china plate smooth cooking surface. Do an Ebay search and look at the prices. Not only is Griswold the king of cast, it's value goes up every day making for a great heirloom item to pass down also. Sometimes you'll run across a flea market, yard sale, etc. and they have no ideal of it's worth.

Dub

Very nice gear.

I'm tossing out the current non-stick skillets today. Done with that junk.

I'm simply going to convert over to cast iron for most of my indoor cooking.

I am debating whether or not to attempt to attempt a resurfacing of two Lodge pieces I have. They aren't smooth at all....not from build up....just the way they came.

Was considering simply leaving them in the kamado while doing a high temp burnoff. Then after they cool I'd hit the cooking surface with a wire disc and try to get them smooth....clean them up and begin the re-seasoning process.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Dub,
Modern cast iron is not smooth. Go to some antique places and feel some of the good old pans so that you will know what you are looking for. The old good stuff can be found for about the same money as the new stuff you just have to keep your eye open for it. The Griswold collectors usually keep the cost of brand bid up higher than the others, but it is not any better for cooking.

Older marks include Lodge, Griswold, Wagner, Sidney O, Erie, Wapack, National, Favorite Atlanta Stove Works, Birmingham Stove Works and others. A lot of the old stuff was unmarked. Wapack and Favorite are thinner and lighter as is Victor which was made by by Griswold. I actually prefer the thinner pans for top of the stove use as they are lighter and easier to handle.

The newer Lodge and Wagner pans have a texture that is easy to feel.

You didn't ask, but there are two other things that I would recommend buying in addition to the pans. Lodge makes a silicone pan handle holder that is fantastic. They also make a small stainless steel scrubber that is made of linked rings like chain mail. My pans usually clean up completely be deglazing and wiping with a paper towel, but if there is something that the spatula misses a hot water rinse and this little scrubber gets it every time.

Dub

Dub,
Modern cast iron is not smooth. Go to some antique places and feel some of the good old pans so that you will know what you are looking for. The old good stuff can be found for about the same money as the new stuff you just have to keep your eye open for it. The Griswold collectors usually keep the cost of brand bid up higher than the others, but it is not any better for cooking.

Older marks include Lodge, Griswold, Wagner, Sidney O, Erie, Wapack, National, Favorite Atlanta Stove Works, Birmingham Stove Works and others. A lot of the old stuff was unmarked. Wapack and Favorite are thinner and lighter as is Victor which was made by by Griswold. I actually prefer the thinner pans for top of the stove use as they are lighter and easier to handle.

The newer Lodge and Wagner pans have a texture that is easy to feel.

You didn't ask, but there are two other things that I would recommend buying in addition to the pans. Lodge makes a silicone pan handle holder that is fantastic. They also make a small stainless steel scrubber that is made of linked rings like chain mail. My pans usually clean up completely be deglazing and wiping with a paper towel, but if there is something that the spatula misses a hot water rinse and this little scrubber gets it every time.

Thanks for the information and suggestions.

I've seen those chain mail cleaners and thought they looked pretty aggressive. It's good to know they won't hurt anything.

GA1dad

I've got a few vintage pieces around here somewhere. I don't use them too much because we bought a glass top range a few years ago. (Why temp fate?) Might be time to dig them up and do some porch cooking with them this weekend.

Reactions: Dub

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
When I graduated high school and went out into the world, Mama gave me this old 10 5/8 inch #8 frying pan, and a quilt she made with her own hands. Her idea was I would have something dependable to cook with that could also be used over a fire, and a warm blanket so I wouldn`t get cold. The frying pan was very old when I was a youngun, no brand name on it. Both have served me well and still do to this day.vintage iron.jpg

Patriot44

Banned
Yesterday morning, a woman here in the burbs put a cast iron tea kettle on the online yard sale for 20 buck. I jumped all over it but unfortunately, I think that someone tolt her to back off. Post disappeared.

I have a good collection of new cast iron (2001-). One day I will inherit a couple that go back fore by daddy's time on earth started. One of them in particular was my grandmothers and all I ever remember her cooking with it was brown gravy.

Was many o time that we only had toasted white bread to dump the gravy on top, and I still like that even today.

twtabb

Got some pans and a griddle out to clean up and reseason. I did something wrong and griddle came out sticky. To much oil I think.
Anyone try the flax seed method?

Patriot44

Banned
Got some pans and a griddle out to clean up and reseason. I did something wrong and griddle came out sticky. To much oil I think.
Anyone try the flax seed method?
Fire hot and Crisco. That is it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When I graduated high school and went out into the world, Mama gave me this old 10 5/8 inch #8 frying pan, and a quilt she made with her own hands. Her idea was I would have something dependable to cook with that could also be used over a fire, and a warm blanket so I wouldn`t get cold. The frying pan was very old when I was a youngun, no brand name on it. Both have served me well and still do to this day.View attachment 940575
Hard to beat a smart Mama! Evidently she had already taught you all she thought that she needed to and gave you the two tools to get by with. Looks like you turned out O.K., she must've done good.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
IF, that's IF I can ever find a battery for my old (2005) camera, I'll send in some pics of my Great, Great Grandmother's cast iron. Most of which I cook with at least weekly if not daily.
I'll never forget the night I had friends over for supper and my buddy's wife wanted to clean up. He saw the look in my eyes and with out looking at her told her to get that ..... pan out out of the dish water. I know now that it doesn't matter that much, but thats the first water to touch that pan since it was forged. Me and her are just now (15 years later) getting back on speaking terms and I'm her daughter's "Godfather".

Dub

When I graduated high school and went out into the world, Mama gave me this old 10 5/8 inch #8 frying pan, and a quilt she made with her own hands. Her idea was I would have something dependable to cook with that could also be used over a fire, and a warm blanket so I wouldn`t get cold. The frying pan was very old when I was a youngun, no brand name on it. Both have served me well and still do to this day.View attachment 940575

Very powerful gifts she sent you away with.

Special love right there.....that served you well.

tsharp

Dub I have 2 of them that I sanded down with a flapper disc and now they are as smooth as glass. I just put the flapper on my drill. then seasoned them again.

ryork

I've got three cast iron pans, different sizes, that were my maternal grandmother's. Use them just about daily unless we're out and about. Have a quilt that was my Grandmother's as well, and one that my Great Aunts and Grandmother quilted for us as wedding present twenty five years ago now.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am blessed to have a good bit of vintage cast iron. Y'all have seen many, many pics of most of it in use on this forum over the years.

I have one 10 1/2" pan that is over 100 years old. No markings. It belonged to my great-grandmother, my grandpa, and mom before me. My mom gave it to me as a wedding present when I was 18 and moved out. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I have a 12" pan (also unmarked,) that is 50's vintage. It is another one of my most prized possessions. It's named "Rooster" because of the story behind it.

My dad ran a store in a town near here back in the mid-fifties. There was an old guy who hung around named "Rooster" Bartlett. He was a highly decorated WWII vet, but was shellshocked, as they called PTSD back in the day. He was quite well-off financially, but was also homeless, by choice. The only thing that actually made him happy was fishing.

One weekend, my dad and his brother were planning a week-long trip to camp and trout fish back in the mountains. Rooster happened by and said that he sure would like to go on a trip like that sometime. So they invited him to go. Rooster was ecstatic, and said that he would bring all the food and do all the cooking if they would take him.

He showed up with a big bunch of groceries and a brand new cast-iron frying pan. They camped and fished, and Rooster cooked. When they were getting ready to come home at the end of the week, Rooster cleaned the pan to a shine, and sat it gently on a stump at the campsite. Dad said, "Rooster, don't forget your pan."

Rooster said, "George, I don't have anywhere to keep it at. I'll leave it here for someone who can use it and enjoy it."

Dad said, "If you don't want it, can I have it?"

Rooster said, "Sure!" I didn't think you'd want it!"

Dad brought it home, and I grew up eating meals cooked out of it. About ten years ago, mom got so she wasn't able to pick it up any more, and gave it to me. I use it almost every day.

I have a 10" and an 8" pan that came from my great-aunt's house when she went to a nursing home. Both are very old. The 8" is my dedicated cornbread pan.

I have a big oval cast-iron griddle that my grandpa used to cook bacon and fish on while he was camping. I grew up eating out of it. I wouldn't take a million dollars for it.

I also have a cast-iron Dutch oven that belonged to another great grandma. She used it to cook on the fireplace. When my grandma inherited it, she wanted to use it with her wood-burning cookstove, so my grandpa cut the legs off of it with a cold chisel so it could be used on the stove. It makes good cornbread.

I also have a huge cast-iron "witch pot" cauldron that has been in the family for about three or four generations. It was the one that used to be used for making soap, washing clothes, rendering lard, cooking stew, and other such family duties over a fire in the yard.

I love my old cast iron.

Nic, along with great-grandma's pan, my mom also gave me a quilt handmade by the same lady when I first got married and moved out. That I still have. Old southern ladies weren't that different from the mountains to the lowlands, were they? :cheers:

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Not gonna quote the whole thing, but a dedicated cornbread pan can't be beat! That's what SHE was trying to wash that night and I still can't remember what I said to / called her and the two won't tell me to this day.