First time dove hunter

Etoncathunter

As the title here states I'm a first time dove hunter. Never even tried to shoot anything that didn't have fur. I don't have anyone that I know who dove hunts, so I'm kinda learning as I go. I do have a few questions though.

1) I got drawn for the opening day McEntire rd VPA quota hunt. My understanding from the regulations is that a: since it's opening day shooting doesn't start till noon, & b: since it is a wma you can't take your seat/gear into the field till 10am, right?

2) Say I shot a dove, do I just toss it on ice or do I need to gut it and then toss in the cooler?

3) What is the etiquette in these fields? I know all the shooting safety stuff, but what sort of "buffer room" is appropriate between hunters, 50-60yrds, 100yrds? What about retrieving downed birds, do people generally retrieve as they shoot, wait for a lull in the shooting then go, or do people call a cease fire and everyone go at once like on a gun range?
Thanks for any and all help. I've been looking forward to this for years and am excited to finally get to do it. Any other advice and input is more than welcome. I'd looked, but there is no "Dove hunting for dummies" at the library.

cgrover1

1 - Season doesn't open until noon. I've never hunted public land, so I'm not sure what time you can go onto the field.

2 - Just toss it on ice. I use something well sealed. Fire ants will find them.

3 - I'd say 100 yds. Public land, there's no telling who is sitting next to you. Sit next to some cover, even shade for your own benefit. I always retrieve a bird after I shoot it. Once you start shooting and spinning circles again, you'll forget where the bird was, and ANTS.

i'll try and cover one part of this. doves are hard to hit, when you knock one down, mark him, go get him right away. doves can be hard to find and if wing shoot will walk away. clean your birds after the hunt, keep them off the ground, fire ants will get on them. take plenty of shells. look up dove hunting tips on youtube and watch some of their videos

Gut_Pile

1. season is at noon, 10am on public to reserve your spot
2. ice is fine. put it in a gallon Ziploc to keep ants off
3. 100 yards is good. Go get your bird as soon as you shoot it. Mark where it fell and walk straight to it. Do not shoot at other birds while on the way

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Do not shoot at low birds. When your shot at bird falls, mark the spot and go straight to it (doves can disappear fast). Don`t shoot at low birds. Before you reach down to pick up your bird, look around it real good. Do not shoot at low birds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What everybody else said. If you can find one of those buckets with the seat on top, it's ideal for carrying shells, doves, and WATER. Take plenty, it's hotter than Hades out there in a dove field. I usually freeze a couple water bottles and put them in the bucket, they'll keep your doves cold, and will gradually melt and give you cold water. Others are spot on with the fire ants, and marking your birds and going straight to them. And Don't Shoot At Low Birds! Wear safety glasses. You will likely get peppered with shot at some point from someone who doesn't understand the don't shoot at low birds idea.

And, be prepared to have a ball. If it's a good field and the doves are flying, a public dove shoot is one of the most enjoyable things you can do. It's like a redneck social event. Prepare to be amused and entertained. Don't get mad if somebody picks up a couple of your birds, and don't be surprised if you miss ten for every one you hit. Doves are fast, tough, and are apparently equipped with Klingon cloaking devices.

Etoncathunter

About the low birds. It seems like the rule of thumb that I've read a few places was to make sure they're high enough that you have sky visible below it. Does that sound about right?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
About the low birds. It seems like the rule of thumb that I've read a few places was to make sure they're high enough that you have sky visible below it. Does that sound about right?
At least. You just have to use common sense as to where the other folks are at, and the topography of the land, and whether you're on a ridge, or down in a holler.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I like to sit under a big tree that they like to land in before they fly in to feed

basstrkr

I've shot public land before and in reality 100 yards apart is good goal but is often hard to get that much room, quota may be different. My experience is about 50 yards is doable.
To make marking birds easier I put out perimeter marks like empty shells or dog fennels. About 25 yds. out at at 9,12, and 3 o clock. Makes it easy and much quicker. Retrieve when shot and don't shoot low birds. But others might so safety glasses (shaded) are very important.

CummingDeplorable

Lest time I went dove hunting was as a kid in Alabama. The main thing I remember is hearing a bang, then hear the shot whistling through the air so you turn your back to the sound and wait for the pellets to hit the ground...

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
If you haven't done so already I would suggest practicing on clay pigeons before opening day. Doves will fly more erratically than the clay pigeons, but at least you'll have a feel for hitting moving targets. Also realize what's your range. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion during public hunts I have seen where a large group will shoot at every bird they see and then claim other guys birds just because they were shooting at it. 80-100 yards away from the next guy would be great, but it's probably more like 50 yards on an average field that I have been on. Would not hurt to introduce yourself to the guys around you and help each other out.

Huntmaster2

Like Danny said, introducing yourself to the guys next to you is probably the most important thing. They will be more likely to keep up with your position (safety) and your downed birds. Plus they may have a few tips for a first time dove hunter!

Etoncathunter

Thanks for all the input everyone. Defintly a lot to keep in mind and think of. As for the suggestions about going to a private vs wma hunt it's not really an option for me. Private hunts here aren't as numerous as other areas of the state and those that do exist cost an arm and a leg, or fill up months ahead of time "If" you can even get far enough through the good ole boy network to find out about it to begin with.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input everyone. Defintly a lot to keep in mind and think of. As for the suggestions about going to a private vs wma hunt it's not really an option for me. Private hunts here aren't as numerous as other areas of the state and those that do exist cost an arm and a leg, or fill up months ahead of time "If" you can even get far enough through the good ole boy network to find out about it to begin with.
And are sometimes held on illegally baited fields.