• Savage A22

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Keltec CMR30

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Magnum research

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

chrislibby88

I’m thinking about getting a semi-auto 22mag, mainly for hogs during small game season, but it will work for squirrels too, and plinking.

Looks like I only have a few choices.
Savage A22
CZ 512
Keltec CMR30
Magnum Research.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

bullgator

The CZ is very accurate, but the trigger is horrible. Keltec, I’ll pass. MagResearch, good if you get a lightweight carbon barrel. The Savage might be the best all around for your purposes.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I just did the same thing for the exact same reasons but got a 22lr. Bolt action Ruger American 8348. I looked at 22mag but with the higher cost of ammo,the trajectory is only a couple inches different at 125 yrds and the 22lr rifles had more options. I had to go with the 22lr for what I'm using it for.

rayjay

I don't know what your budget is but there may be 22 mag uppers available for AR15 lowers. I built one myself and it shoots good but it got put on the backburner so I still haven't addressed the mag issue yet.

I DID shoot it in a metallic silhouette match at Cherokee Gun Club. I made a sled follower for a 223 mag and just single loaded. The difference in "knock down power" between the 22 mag and any other rimfire was enough to have me giggling like a little girl :) . In this match the silhouettes are larger than normal but it's also shot at long range. The chickens are at 75 meters and the rams are all the way out to 188m/205 yards. The rams are about 12 to 14" long and probably weigh 3 to 5 lbs. Pretty heavy. A 17HM2 won't knock them down with a center hit. A 17HMR still needs to hit at one end or the other. A 22LR slides them back on the rail and they fall off. The 22 mag smacks them back against the berm which is about 3 feet back.

So don't let anybody tell you a 22LR will do the same job.

munchie3409

I have the CZ512 and I like it a lot...people complain about the trigger, but they are comparing it to the CZ bolt action, which isn't fair since it's a semi auto rifle.

Save your self time and forget the KT CMR. I've owned a few KT in the past and will tell you most of the KT will need to be sent back to KT as they have no QC.

ishootlittlebucks

I have the 512 American. It is an awesome shooter. Like 3/4" groups at 100 with the A22 ammo. The trigger was pretty bad. I fiddled with it and it's a lot better.

chrislibby88

I have the CZ512 and I like it a lot...people complain about the trigger, but they are comparing it to the CZ bolt action, which isn't fair since it's a semi auto rifle.

Save your self time and forget the KT CMR. I've owned a few KT in the past and will tell you most of the KT will need to be sent back to KT as they have no QC.
I’ve been reading a lot,of horror stories about the CMR. Sucks, because it has a lot of features that appealed to me. I have also read numerous complaints and reliability issues on pretty much every semi auto 22mag. By the CZ seems to be the best looking option so far.

chrislibby88

I have the 512 American. It is an awesome shooter. Like 3/4" groups at 100 with the A22 ammo. The trigger was pretty bad. I fiddled with it and it's a lot better.
Yea I read something last night about filing down, and polishing the engagement surfaces on the trigger/seer.
I need to go fondle one in a store again and see what’s up with he trigger. I handled mine a few weeks ago, but I don’t think I dry fired it.

chrislibby88

I don't know what your budget is but there may be 22 mag uppers available for AR15 lowers. I built one myself and it shoots good but it got put on the backburner so I still haven't addressed the mag issue yet.

I DID shoot it in a metallic silhouette match at Cherokee Gun Club. I made a sled follower for a 223 mag and just single loaded. The difference in "knock down power" between the 22 mag and any other rimfire was enough to have me giggling like a little girl :) . In this match the silhouettes are larger than normal but it's also shot at long range. The chickens are at 75 meters and the rams are all the way out to 188m/205 yards. The rams are about 12 to 14" long and probably weigh 3 to 5 lbs. Pretty heavy. A 17HM2 won't knock them down with a center hit. A 17HMR still needs to hit at one end or the other. A 22LR slides them back on the rail and they fall off. The 22 mag smacks them back against the berm which is about 3 feet back.

So don't let anybody tell you a 22LR will do the same job.
Very interesting. Probably not something that would make it to the woods this season, but it could be a cool future option. What would you use for mags though? Does anyone manufacture a functioning mag for an AR?

rayjay

Very interesting. Probably not something that would make it to the woods this season, but it could be a cool future option. What would you use for mags though? Does anyone manufacture a functioning mag for an AR?
The guy who designed the set up I used welded up a bracket that fits inside a 223 mag and held a Marlin 7 round 22 mag magazine. I have the Marlin mags just haven't gotaroundtuit yet.

After the experience with this conversion I have come to the conclusion that the 22mag and all the 17s are not really suited to self loading for the general population. A careful and knowledgeable shooter that pays attention to his rifle and carefully tests ammo and isn't afraid to mess with main springs and buffer weight and will never rapid fire the rifle will probably never have an issue. A knucklehead on the other hand could easily end up with an out of battery discharge or other issue.

james243

I had the same need as you for a 22mag, and it has been great on hogs. Luckily I didn't have to decide because my father in-law had a heckler and koch model 300 and a mobile home that needed some work to get ready to be sold. So I sweated my butt off for a couple weekends and now it's mine. It would be my one and only firearm if it came down to deciding.

chrislibby88

I had the same need as you for a 22mag, and it has been great on hogs. Luckily I didn't have to decide because my father in-law had a heckler and koch model 300 and a mobile home that needed some work to get ready to be sold. So I sweated my butt off for a couple weekends and now it's mine. It would be my one and only firearm if it came down to deciding.
I heard of these, but left them off due to price and spotty availability.

tree cutter 08

I'd be leary of the 22 mag in a semi auto platform. If you do some digging, there's tons of problems with guns jaming or blowing up. I'd stick with a good bolt action and call it good. I know of 2 guys that came out lucky when there's blew apart.

rayjay

What somebody ought to do is resurrect the 5mm Remington but have it as a range of 3 calibers, 22, 20 [ 5mm ] and a 17. Bolt actions or single shots only.

rayjay

I'd be leary of the 22 mag in a semi auto platform. If you do some digging, there's tons of problems with guns jaming or blowing up. I'd stick with a good bolt action and call it good. I know of 2 guys that came out lucky when there's blew apart.
On my conversion the designer uses a pushrod from the bolt back to the original AR15 buffer and mainspring. I had to add weight to the buffer and play with the mainspring to get it right.

The problem with the 22 mag is it's length and it being a rimfire. If you have a failure to feed the bolt can easily pinch the rim and set off the cartridge with it not fully chambered. KABLAMMOOO !!!!

Rabun

It's not a semi auto, but I really like my lever action ruger model 96 in .22 mag. Light and accurate enough for me.

oppthepop

Not a semi, but i got a blued steel Henry and i couldnt be happier with it. Handy little rifle and i like the extra punch of the 22 mag.