Bear books

Tio Hey Seuss

Anybody come across a good bear hunting book? The few I've found have very little information on bears/hunting in the southern Appalachians but this is my favorite so far.20180708_200740.jpeg2018081495162211.jpg

jbogg

These books are not hunting related, but Ben Kilham understands bear behavior as good or better than just about anybody. You can definitely use 981705A3-540C-4F8D-A50D-53391D25548F.jpeghis insight to become a better Bearhunter.

Tio Hey Seuss

These books are not hunting related, but Ben Kilham understands bear behavior as good or better than just about anybody. You can definitely use his insight to become a better Bearhunter.
Ok, I was curious about him. Just recently heard of him but he kinda sounds like Lynn rogers. Seems like a great resource for body language and behavior.

jbogg

Ok, I was curious about him. Just recently heard of him but he kinda sounds like Lynn rogers. Seems like a great resource for body language and behavior.

Once I read a book I tend to pass them on. You are welcome to them if you like. PM your address an I will drop them in the mail

HunterJoe24

Can't figure out how to upload a picture, but the one I have that I liked a lot is another Richard B. Smith book that's just titled Black Bear Hunting

Tio Hey Seuss

Steven Rinella has some good info in his Complete Guide to series in Volume 1. Ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting has lots of good reviews. So does Black Bear Hunting from the Complete Hunter book series.
Rinella's book is amazing as far as general hunting knowledge. A must read for sure but not much bear info that I found helpful.

I hear good things about the Ultimate Guide by Douglas Boze. I listened to an interview he did on a podcast and he sounds knowledgeable but again, he seemed unfamiliar with our territory and bears. Glassing avalanche chutes out west is a far cry from still hunting white oaks. Still, it's on my reading list haha.

Dana Young

Tio it seems to me that you have a lot of bear knowledge. maybe you should write one. I thought about it one time but nI really don't know anything about writing books.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Tio it seems to me that you have a lot of bear knowledge. maybe you should write one. I thought about it one time but nI really don't know anything about writing books.

Write it like you tell the stories around the campfire.

Tio Hey Seuss

Dude, I'm flattered but I'm still pretty new to the game. I was just lucky to live where the bears are for a bit and I stumbled onto some older guys who were willing to talk bears. Maybe in a few years I might feel qualified.

Tio Hey Seuss

You should man. I think we're an under represented segment of the hunting community. It's rediculously hard to find info/coverage of hunting in the southern Appalachians. I also think most folk have no idea how difficult it is hunting that terrain.

I used to live in Cleveland and work at Smithgall Woods. Now I'm south of Atlanta unfortunately.

tree cutter 08

Tio, you mentioned still hunting. That's exactly what I plan on doing this bow season. Just trying to change it up a little bit. I'm thinking that's going to be a more productive technique with acorns scattered this year. It will be more fun anyway.

Bowhunter77

I read one called the “Radical Bear Hunter” . It was good if you can get over the fact he referred to himself in third person as “ this radical bear hunter”. It would have been great had he just presented his knowledge and expiernce with the stories.

Possum

Banned
Tio, you mentioned still hunting. That's exactly what I plan on doing this bow season. Just trying to change it up a little bit. I'm thinking that's going to be a more productive technique with acorns scattered this year. It will be more fun anyway.