Lanahassee Creek VPA

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I hunt a friend's place just east of the new WMA. We haven't seen hogs for the past couple of years but evidently they are on his place pretty thick right now.

southernman13

Yes they did. Except for a few sections it was mostly clear cut. That’s when they got it. Good thing is they won’t be back for a long time!! What was mature they ruined this year and the other stands shouldn’t need thinning for at least 5 years and when they do it won’t take long. It’s already thick enough for good cover. Should keep improving for a while

jbandito

Yes they did. Except for a few sections it was mostly clear cut. That’s when they got it. Good thing is they won’t be back for a long time!! What was mature they ruined this year and the other stands shouldn’t need thinning for at least 5 years and when they do it won’t take long. It’s already thick enough for good cover. Should keep improving for a while
Our friend Mike Xenon has the “L” shape private land in the far Northeast corner of the VPA. I was also informed that the state has bought it just waiting for the red tape to go through and it will be a permanant WMA

In talking with Weyerhauser management ,the 525 acres in the middle had already been leased to Mike Xenos prior to the sale closing (May 15th )of the VMA property for the 18-19 season. The state is working on and have secured leasing the land for the next season, after the current lease expires. At this time the VMA will be close to 5000 acres

jbandito

Update on our hunt at Lanahassee: only 21 out of 50 people had checked in and only 4 deer killed as of late this afternoon. My partner saw a nice 6 point but let him walk, i had deer blowing at me on the main big mowed field. Had to find another spot at last second for the evening but a lot prettier. Had two big does blow and run off. Scrapes everywhere, tracks everywhere. We scouted and hunted a lot of places good except the Northenmost where they are still trying to get the roads right. Some gates are open some not, every open gate had a truck on in it all closed gates did not. DNR guys were super cool at the check in station and offered to help drag deer with thier atv! Not sure if the low harvest number was from people waiting for the big one or people not going far into the place because of unfamiliarty. The one buck was killed by the dnr behind the check station (go figure) but he was a small 8. There are other kinks they need to work out such as roads that are private property need marking and some of the actual roads on the north end look like firebreaks so we didnt drive down them, some hog sign, a few ppl parked on 280 between the creek and addys diary road and walked in and saw some. To me no one was on the righ side of oscar williams hunting the whole way and there looked to be great pine stands with low brush in them, the north clearcut past the 90 curve had two hunters in the only trees basically trying to cover the whole thing but even then they where the only two no one on the left side short pines. My best advice is to find a good hardwood run with no gates around, park and walk in, somewhere around the first pond on oscar williams.

bam_bam

I hunted till this morning and didn’t see anything. Disappointed in the lack of shots or deer taken. The place is god awful thick in places.

jbandito

I hunted till this morning and didn’t see anything. Disappointed in the lack of shots or deer taken. The place is god awful thick in places.
Yeah only 4 as of yesterday, not near as thick as most wmas i thought it was pretty open to be honest, clearcuts and third row pines, even the shorter pines you could sit in and look, but its full of deer but only 21 people checked in, i guess people where waiting for the big one or scared to shot ones that where close to 15

Last edited:

Curtis

My group was drawn for this weekend’s hunt. A couple of us are going, others are done for the year. Looks like the November hunt was underwhelming. Might just still hunt a bit with iron sights. Anybody else planning to be there?

bam_bam

My group was drawn for this weekend’s hunt. A couple of us are going, others are done for the year. Looks like the November hunt was underwhelming. Might just still hunt a bit with iron sights. Anybody else planning to be there?

How did the hunt go?

Curtis

We saw one 9pt taken and several does, including several less than 90lbs. A few pigs seen but didn’t hear of any kills. A well run hunt but didn’t hear or see too much in the way of big bucks by mid-day Saturday. Heard several shots on Saturday evening so there may have been some late day magic that I didn’t know about.