fiber optic sight fadeing in a blind?

bilgerat

Senior
I got permission to hunt a small old family home place yesterday . I quickly setup a blind and hunted it last eve, I didn't see any deer but I noticed that way before last shooting light it got dark in the blind and my fiber optic sight pins faded out due to the lack if light . anyone tried to add a small pin light on their bow to help light the pins up in low light?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I got permission to hunt a small old family home place yesterday . I quickly setup a blind and hunted it last eve, I didn't see any deer but I noticed that way before last shooting light it got dark in the blind and my fiber optic sight pins faded out due to the lack if light . anyone tried to add a small pin light on their bow to help light the pins up in low light?

A light on your fiber is an absolute must when hunting from a blind in low light conditions.

Kris87

yes to a light. just be careful not to get the fibers too bright. I actually mount mine so it barely shines onto my fibers a good distance from the end of the pin. It barely illuminates it and works perfectly.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Never thought about a pen light shining towards the pins, but I am not too impressed with the lights that come on the sights and light up the fibers. I have a copper John and a IQ they do ok if you barely turn the rheostat up but it's hard to see the target.

bilgerat

Senior
I have a Apex gear site, I looked on the web at lights but My site doesn't have a place to mount one , Guess it time to redneck engineer one up.

Deerhead

A light works great. My Spot Hog sight is threaded for a light. You might have to us a True Glo Hunters Lite Blue. You can attach this light to your riser and direct the light onto your fiber. You will be back in business.

Kris87

I have a Apex gear site, I looked on the web at lights but My site doesn't have a place to mount one , Guess it time to redneck engineer one up.

I made my own mount for mine so it would shine on the fibers where I wanted it too. Then I left the light on for a long time so I could run the batteries down and get the pin to the brightness I wanted.

As they always say, the Attention is in the Details! :D

baddave

yes to a light. just be careful not to get the fibers too bright. I actually mount mine so it barely shines onto my fibers a good distance from the end of the pin. It barely illuminates it and works perfectly.
agree - there's a such thing as too bright - i put a layer of masking tape to dull mine a little .. if i can see a profile , i can make the shot .. don't advise it , just sayin'

Curvebow05

Learn to shoot with both eyes open. That's the biggest difference maker in low light. Lots of good ideas floating around for sight lights up there ☝?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Learn to shoot with both eyes open. That's the biggest difference maker in low light. Lots of good ideas floating around for sight lights up there ☝?
I agree that shooting with both eyes is the way to go, but it both eyes won't make an invisible pin visible. Fiber needs to gather light to be bright, and there often isn't enough light in a dark blind to make your pin visible.

bilgerat

Senior
I found a small keychain flashlight at the dollar store , I cut the key chain off and zip tied it to My riser pointing at the end of the fiber optic strands and it works like a charm, 3,99 and 2 zip-ties !! it is a little bright so I put a piece of tape over half of the lens

Attachments

• IMG_2406.JPG
    IMG_2406.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2407.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Curvebow05

I agree that shooting with both eyes is the way to go, but it both eyes won't make an invisible pin visible. Fiber needs to gather light to be bright, and there often isn't enough light in a dark blind to make your pin visible.
I absolutely agree, I left out light ideas simply because they were mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Most people don't know that opening both eyes is an instant 10 more minutes of shooting light down in the swamp or under a thick canopy and even in a blind in low light. Electrical tape is a beautiful thing for attaching stuff to a bow.

uturn

I use mine much the same as Kris87... Mine actually has a dial that allows you to use it like a dimmer switch!!