Is this a normal coat and color for a fox?

GeorgeShu

Seems pretty bland coloring. It looked quite scruffy during the summer and is somewhat better now. Just seems to be somewhat unusual. Others in the same area have pretty red full coats. This guy looks like a mixed breed. Note the kink in the tail and white spot at end.Fox1.pngFox2.png

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s a red fox. Can`t tell what, but something is wrong with it.

GeorgeShu

Could be, but I don’t think so. I see it often as it frequents my yard. Also many pics on the cam. Have never seen it itching or scratching. Just that dull colored thin coat.
Friday I was gathering leaves with my lawn sweeper. It laid across the fence about 40 feet from where I was hauling the leaves for about an hour laying in the sun. Not the least bit bothered by my comings and goings on my little tractor. The coat seems to be getting denser and legs darkening toward black.
I am thinking it is a juvenile fox.

Hillbilly stalker

Looks like a juvenile. Notice how " leggy" it looks ? Can't tell from the pictures,it may have something wrong with it. Some females are not as near bright or beautiful as the males. Young ones tend to be duller too. A fox will tame down quicker than most wild animals and that may explain why he was hanging around. You may have been kicking out a few lizards and mice for him too moving them leaves.

BradW

I killed 3 this year that came in chasing my chickens, all looked like that. They were red foxes, but covered with mange. Fur all short/crusted up, ears all crusted, scrawny and just in overall poor condition. Felt sorry for them being in such a state, they didn't even do a good job of trying to catch my chickens that I free range.

Cmp1

BANNED
I killed 3 this year that came in chasing my chickens, all looked like that. They were red foxes, but covered with mange. Fur all short/crusted up, ears all crusted, scrawny and just in overall poor condition. Felt sorry for them being in such a state, they didn't even do a good job of trying to catch my chickens that I free range.
They can pass it on to a farm dog also,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Red foxes are really variable in their coloration. They can even be black. I see quite a few around here that look just like yours.

sleepr71

Normal looking Red Fox to me. Not all of them end up that pretty Irish Setter Red(not around here anyway). Maybe it’s a female & females tend to have a more muted/fuller shade of red,for better Camo?

greg_n_clayton

Could be, but I don’t think so. I see it often as it frequents my yard. Also many pics on the cam. Have never seen it itching or scratching. Just that dull colored thin coat.
Friday I was gathering leaves with my lawn sweeper. It laid across the fence about 40 feet from where I was hauling the leaves for about an hour laying in the sun. Not the least bit bothered by my comings and goings on my little tractor. The coat seems to be getting denser and legs darkening toward black.
I am thinking it is a juvenile fox.
Is it rabid ?? This sounds odd !!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Foxes get tame easy. I've seen a lot of them that would about walk up to you. There is a pair where I work that will run around and go about their business and not hardly pay any attention to you.

sleepr71

Yep^^..especially if it starts when they’re young. I had a Grey,who’s mother got ran over in August,that laid in the yard..like a dog..and waited on Persimmons to fall from trees in the yard,or me to throw him Apples,or cookies. He’d get as close as 3-4 ft from me,if I were sitting. I never tried to pet him,or give him meat. I didn’t have a dog at the time..so he made my place home? It was to the point I called him “Jeff”..for Foxworthy?. Anyway,in hindsight..I did him wrong by feeding him. He probably went to somebody else’s house & they thought he was rabid..