Truck Tire Pressure

transfixer

Unless I'm hauling something in the bed of significant weight, or towing something , I usually run the fronts about 5lb higher than the rear, just for ride comfort, when the bed is empty there is more weight on the front than the rear, if I'm towing or hauling something heavy I'll sometimes increase the rear 5 or 10lbs more than the front.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my manual on the 2018 D2500 4WD calls for 60 pounds front, 80 lbs rear. I run it that way, because I never know when I am going to hook to a gooseneck trailer and pull 12,000 lbs or so. I don't have time to air them up and down for an easier ride

Meriwether Mike

Good answers come from good info.

My tires are quite larger than stock. I would think the door jamb sticker would not apply.

The tires on my truck are rated for 85 PSI, I run about 45 PSI. Smooth ride and even wear. I just played around with the pressure till it suited me.
I don't know when I might have to hook to a trailer, but I try not to make a regular habit of it, so adjusting rear air pressure isn't an issue.

Reactions: Dub

Buckaroo93

The door jamb placard says 26psi x4 based on STOCK P-Metric tires with a given load index. That psi is about 50-51% of the 51psi max STOCK tire pressure. So, would it be safe to assume that if my current NON-STOCK LT tires have a max pressure of 80psi, I should run about 40psi?

GoldDot40

I run oversized E-rated 10 ply tires on my 1/2 ton pickup. The max pressure on the sidewall says 80psi. I run them at 35psi like the door jam says. They all ride and wear perfectly. Been doing this with my last 3 sets and average around 70K miles on them before I change them.

The PSI on the sidewall is the maximum you can safely run them at, not the recommended pressure. The weight of the vehicle plays the biggest factor in optimal psi for your vehicle.

Every tire manufacturer on the planet will tell you to abide by the vehicle's recommendation. Some times it takes some experimenting on your part to find the optimal pressure for your vehicle, regardless of size and load rating.

transfixer

A lot of variables involved, the load rating of the tires, whether C, D, or E ? what you use the vehicle for ? whether you haul anything or not , how much what you haul weighs ,, etc, you can get better mileage with tire pressures higher, but you'll lose some ride comfort,

Buckaroo93

So what y'all are saying, regardless of tire size or construction, i should run the pressure on the door jamb?

lonewolf247

So what y'all are saying, regardless of tire size or construction, i should run the pressure on the door jamb?
The door jam pressure is what you should follow, as it is the recommended pressure for your truck.

However, when choosing tires, you should pick tires that are designed to run in the window, that your truck recommends. Example, picking "E-rated" tires on a half ton truck is often overkill, and running tires rated for 80 psi max at 35 psi might not be the optimal pressure for performance, handling, and tread wear of the tires.

In another example, running C-rated or D-rated tires on a 3/4 ton truck, will likely not meet what the door jam recommends, nor satisfy your TPMS. Also, not rated for the loads your truck is designed for. Running tires over the max operating pressure is not an option.